The American Flag | Teen Ink

The American Flag

By BrookieBag GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
BrookieBag GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

The past unravels my head’s content, revealing a vivid image of the American flag. I often ask myself, why this image? Thoughts unwind in my head. They tell me this image isn’t just an image -- it’s my world. This thought brings a smile to my face. The flag is individuality showed in resiliency accompanied by unity and the place I call my home.

When I see that revered image, I know it’s okay to be strong for no one but myself. It’s okay to find myself smiling for no reason. And I know it’s okay to be different. The past may disagree, but Americans are always advancing. We improve ourselves so we can live in a better world filled with acceptance. But when we advance a half step, why do we take two steps backwards?

Even though we are strong for ourselves, sometimes we choose to be strong for someone else. That’s unity. We work together to withstand hardships, smiling when we reach the calm. Americans care for one another and there will always be a hand to help us up when we fall. Why is it that sometimes the hand that helps us up is also the hand that pushed us down?

When I see the flag, it means I’m home. I’m where I belong. It’s the place where I am with the ones I love. Where we smile together and share feelings -- my pain is my families pain and my happiness is my families happiness. We run with our heads looking forward to tomorrow. But why can’t we reach tomorrow together?
As for my beliefs regarding the flag, wouldn’t it be nice they held truth? My head’s content unwinds to reveal one thing I had been ignoring. I start to understand that with everything good in life, something bad comes with it in return. I slowly rise, opening my eyes, and wish I could have dreamt a little longer.

“Keep on smiling,” they tell me.