Representation of Flag | Teen Ink

Representation of Flag

By marycatea GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
marycatea GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Strength. The United States Flag is displayed in times when the United States has been exceptionally strong, such as the event on September 11th, the Battle of Fort McHenry, and the attack on Pearl Harbor. Throughout the years that the United States has existed, the citizens and our nation as a whole have showed great strength and pride in our country.

On September 11th 2001, the Twin Towers began to collapse-- people running rampant, firefighters and policemen rushing to help injured victims, and families waiting to hear back from their loved ones. Through the chaos and tragedy of that day, the flag still waved strong.

On December 7th 1941, the Japanese bombed a United States naval base at Pearl Harbor. More than 2,000 American soldiers died, and about 1,000 were wounded. Bombs and bullets drenched the harbor. Through the stress of this surprise attack on the United States, the flag still proudly represented the strength of our nation as a whole.

During the War of 1812, at the Battle of Fort McHenry, the red, white and blue flag stood high and proud. Bloody men laid dead on the grass-with bullet wounds through their chests and backs. Empty guns lay broken on the ground. British ships held American men captive. But the flag still stood.

Through tragic events such as the Battle of Fort McHenry, the attack at Pearl Harbor, and the terrorist attacks on September 11th 2001, the United States always comes out as a strong nation and will continue to move forward.