What the Flag Means to Me | Teen Ink

What the Flag Means to Me

By Jack123321 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Jack123321 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

As I watch our flag flutter in the wind, I look at the 50 stars and 13 stripes and wonder what the flag represents.

I think of the Revolutionary War, when the Americans were on their heels and losing the War for Independence. All it took was one victory for the Americans to turn around the war and win their independence. Americans stood up to adversity and defied the odds.

I think of the Great Depression, when the average income dropped and unemployment rose. Americans worked together and overcome the Great Depression with hard work and determination. When times are hard, Americans work together to push through.

I think of Pearl Harbor, when a United States military base was attacked by Japan. Americans could have stepped away and accepted their losses, but they avenged their friends and family and declared war on Japan. Americans fight for each other.

After that, I think of September 11th, 2001, when terrorists attacked America. Americans bonded together and helped rebuild and repair what had been destroyed. Americans bounce back and get back up after being knocked down.

Eventually, I come to the realization that because of the Revolutionary War, Great Depression, Pearl Harbor, and 9/11, I am proud to call the United States flag my own because it represents resilience, and unity.