The Flag Will Wave | Teen Ink

The Flag Will Wave

By Thomas_Jefferspoon GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Thomas_Jefferspoon GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

“I pledge allegiance…” I watch from the corner of the classroom as young students stand from their seats and place their hands on their hearts, uttering words far too complex to understand. But I let them learn.

“To the flag…” I observe from the wall as middle school students chant blindly in a monotonic chorus to the words whose meaning is lost. But I let them grow.

“Of the United States of America…” I hang from my perch and listen to the shoddy mumbles of high school students depressed with stress who find these words uncool. But I let them thrive.

“And to the republic…” I hide away from politicians who bicker under me and forget the words that give them purpose. But I let them debate.

“For which it stands…” I rise from the streets and bear pride for the pledge whose words fall deafly to the scurrying Americans below, ignoring the reason I wave. But I let them become.

“One nation under God…” I tremble as I hear brash words spat from American to American, fighting over whose opinion is right, losing sight of their pledge. But I let them believe.

“Indivisible…” I cower as I see the unity shatter below, the thought of the pledge as a scrap of garbage in their self-righteous waste. But I let them choose.

“With liberty and justice for all.” I am but forgotten, the chaos enveloping below me on the ground I dare not touch. The people I wave for, the people I give to, all but undeserving and ignorant below my stars and stripes. But I will always wave.

evandille said...
on Nov. 11 2015 at 9:57 am
evandille, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Amen! HAppy veterans day