True Beauty | Teen Ink

True Beauty

By victoriaa_toy BRONZE, Mount Sterling, Kentucky
victoriaa_toy BRONZE, Mount Sterling, Kentucky

Everyone has true beauty. The one kid that sits alone at lunch with headphones in trying to escape everything around him; the old woman that lives on your street with probably every cat breed known to man; yes, even the popular girl at school with perfect hair, perfect teeth, perfect boyfriend, and just seemingly the perfect life; the guy with the leather jacket and multi colored hair who blares heavy metal music from his car everyday while pulling into the parking lot. But finding and embracing the true beauty that makes everyone wonderfully and uniquely made can be the hardest task. 

During middle school, I always struggled with being judgemental towards other people. I had this thought in my head that everyone should be more like me and the more they differed from me, the more I judged them. That was until I came to realize that I was a victim of harsh judgement by,who I thought was, a close friend.  I was hurt and couldn't see why someone would do this to me. It opened my eyes to how I was doing the exact same thing to other people and how terrible of a person I was becoming.

I decided I needed a fresh start and outlook on people. So, going into my freshman year of high school, I made a vow to stop becoming this monster of harsh judgement towards others who probably didn’t deserve it at all and had nothing wrong with them. I started by looking at the wonderful and great qualities that people have and what makes them beautifully unique. I did this to not just fellow classmates and friends, but everyone I came in contact with in my everyday life. 

However, recently I am realizing how hard my vow is to maintain. I have found myself heading straight to the position I was in previously.  I ask myself “Why am I starting to  become this way again?” and “Why can I not get rid of the monster I created?” I think to a conversation I had the other day with my mother, who also has noticed my change in outlook on others. She asked me a question I constantly keep asking myself, “Why do you have to think and see others in such a negative way?” I believe that the question will have to answer itself in time to come. For now, I have to try my hardest to fulfill my vow to eliminate this monstrous demon I have created on my own.

Yes, I do believe everyone holds true beauty.

My inspiratiion for this peice is my own constant struggle of being judgemental towards others and how I still try to overcome it.