It's Not Just a Game

Ever watched a game of basketball-of anything-while listening to a song and realized how much different the music made the game seem? No more whistles. No more cheers. No more plays being yelled. No sneakers squeaking across the floor. Just gestures, movements, fundamentals. Just the players doing their thing. Playing the game they love. It is its own story. Its amazing how one game, one little game, can mean the world to someone, can define someone. One single game can change somebody's entire outlook on life.

When I'm on the court, I feel that nothing else exists. Just the game of basketball. No stress from school, no drama, no fights with the boyfriend. Just basketball. And that...that makes me feel invicible. The feeling of that soft, cool leather running through my hands defines me. The sound of that ball bouncing to the shiny gym floor as it leaves my hand, the swish of the net, the adrenaline from a rebound-it all defines me. And maybe for you basketball is just a sport. Maybe it's just "something the stupid jocks play." Well, call me a jock, but you're wrong. For most of us, it's not just something we play. It makes us different people. It defines who we are. And that's how all sports are for people who really love it. From cheerleading and gymnastics to basketball and football. From drawing to playing the flute. Make your judements as you wish, but we are all one. We all love something and live for that something. And for me, that's basketball.

And I'll admit, in a sense, my writing this is hypocricy. I judge. But I'm willing to put a stop to it. I know when enough is enough. We've all done enough. But then I begin to wonder... is it really possible to not judge? Aren't we, by saying one person is more attractive than another, judging? By being better friends with one person and not the other...isn't that, in a sense, judging?

Maybe it's possible, maybe it isn't...to not judge.

But here it goes:

the beginning of an end...

liveloveskateee said...
today at 4:44 pm:
This article is very well written and very true! I am a figure skater and whenever I am on the ice, everything else seems to disappear. It allows me to escape from the problems around me and to be free of all my worries. Life is truly about finding your passion and living to do that one thing; the thing that makes you happy. The way you act when you do what you love really brings out your true colors! Great article!

toxic.monkey said...
Jul. 13, 2010 at 3:01 pm:
It's cool that you're passionate about something you love! I play with the less talented basketball team at school and I enjoy it but it's not my passion. Jocks, drama freaks, journalists, musicians, artists- we've all got our interests.

aleelee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
very well written. i have no interest in sports whatsoever, but your writing style made me keep reading

BookWorm579 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 23, 2009 at 4:17 am:
Aaah...curlin up with a good, long fantasy novel. I absolutely LOVE reading and getting completely absorbed in a well-written book is similar to what you describe.

AbbeyW This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 23, 2009 at 3:30 am:
I liked it,
exactly how I feel about soccer.

Brett95 said...
Apr. 9, 2009 at 1:30 am:
thats cool!!!! i can tell u were writing on ur whim to stop judging
im not into basketball but otherwise i really liked it like it didnt even matter that i didnt like basketball
good job

jbrooks2363 said...
hey cassie, loved it, i thought it was very good. Considering i also play basketball, i know what you mean, by how everything disappears, its almost an inexplicable feeling. But kepp up the good work!

Hali C. said...
Basketball is my thing as well, and I agree, it does like it's impossible to stop judging. Especially before a game, judging the other team by saying and thinking how your team is much better than them.

artofthedeath said...
Apr. 7, 2009 at 11:56 am:
I think this piece is inspiring. I do believe that I agree with you. For me, it is tennis and church. You did a good job. Keep Writing. :)

karibari said...
Feb. 17, 2009 at 4:15 am:
Cassie, You inspire me like no one else in the world could. You are so far beyond talented, it is simply staggering. Your writing is just one of the many talents you carry with you. So keep writing, keep shooting(the bball,nothing else), keep believing; you will go so far in life. <33 Kari

Marcia said...
Feb. 13, 2009 at 5:55 pm:
Cassie,
Good writings. Keep writing with spirit and from the heart it shows you're true character.

Love
Marcia

xCblue44x said...
Feb. 17, 2009 at 12:24 am:
Thanks for the comments and opinions. I understand it didn't piece together well, but that wasn't really my point. The message of it is vague to many, but the point is to take it in as you wish and relate to it as you can.

123098 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 16, 2009 at 1:32 am:
Well, okay. Not everyone is defined by their actions either, but that's okay. I'm glad you love basketball so much. It's important to do the things you love, and it's good to have a place where you can be yourself.

kittykat1234 said...
Feb. 15, 2009 at 9:05 pm:
I don't think the end has anything to do with the beginning. You began talking about how basketball defines you, and then you ended questioning your ability to judge. Then your conclusion sentence said, "But here it goes: the beginning of an end..." How does that have anything to do with sports.
Your writing was very good, but try to stay on topic.