Bullying: Stand Up | Teen Ink

Bullying: Stand Up

By marychen BRONZE, Markham, Ontario
marychen BRONZE, Markham, Ontario

If you are witnessing bullying, what would you do? Would you take part in it, stand by, or try to discontinue it? Most individuals don’t know the answer, and that’s the main problem in our society. Bullying comes in many different forms, from cyber bullying, verbal bullying and physical bullying. People don’t realize how big of a problem bullying is. It occurs every day in our lives that we don’t even notice its happening. Every time it happens, everyone tells you to learn how to stand up for yourself. However, that’s hard to do if you don’t know who you are. If you don’t define yourself, the society will do it for you. Stupid. Ugly. Fat. 

According to recent studies, about 47 teens are bullied every five minutes. 71% of students believe that bullying is an ongoing problem in our society. These are not just regular numbers; real people all over the world are getting bullied every day. If we don’t do anything about this ongoing problem, I am positive that the numbers will grow higher and higher. Over 10% of students assume the only way they could stop the bullying is changing schools to have a fresh start. However, why should victims of bullying be the ones changing when bullies are always scattering free all over the place? The harassment doesn’t end when you step foot in your home. Cyber bullying is common on social networks. Teens of variety ages hide behind a computer screen thinking they can do anything they want and never be caught. How many of you have experienced cyber bullying? Or thought you weren’t good enough? I bet you all have experienced cyber bullying in one point of you life.

Calling someone fat won’t make you any skinnier. Calling some stupid won’t make you any smarter. Telling someone to kill yourself is one the worst things anyone could say. I never understood how anyone could tell someone to end their own lives. How come no one ever takes consideration that they might actually do it? How could you possibly hate someone so much that you want them to take their own life? Chances are you probably don’t even know what’s going on in their life; or you probably don’t even know them at all. Even if you’re saying it jokingly, it could be taken seriously. 3 simple words could end up killing someone.  It takes one second to say these things but a lifetime to get over it. We need to start speaking out to those who assume they could just walk all over us. We are all human beings, just like them. No matter what skin colour you are or if you enjoy reading instead of partying everyday. We are all different and unique, that’s what makes life more motivating.
When you walk with those teary eyes, you say you’re just tired. Yes you’re tired, but not from lack of sleep. You’re tired from waking up and looking forward to nothing. You’re tired from the loneliness, hatred and unacceptance. We’re surrounded by dozens of human beings, but we fear of saying how we really feel. We can’t even look each other in the eye and say “I’m not okay. I’m hopeless, broken and weak”. Stop lying about how you feel; stop forcing a fake smile and polite smiles and saying “I’m fine. Thank you”. Stop fearing of crying in public. We are all humans. We are meant to have emotions. 41% of students don’t tell anyone about bullying, and when there’s no one to help, they believe there is no other choice than suicide.

If you’re a victim of bullying, it will get better. The society may make you feel hurt and worthless, but you have to fight through the bad days to get the best days of your life. Sad days happen, but they do not stop you from moving on. Even though you may feel you’re in the eye of the storm, remember to always stay strong, because the moment you stop trying is the moment you lose. You will become a better person for it. Someone filled with empathy and generosity. One day you will no longer wake up filled with anxiety and hatred. Instead, you will find love and acceptance. Always be thankful that you will be alive the next day. Hold on to that hope, and never let go. Everyone needs to realize that bullying is not just an incident or tragedy that you heard on the news. It’s a major problem in our society. There are bullies, victims and bystanders. In life we do things. Some we regret doing. Some we wish we could just replay it a million times. But all those memories make us who we are. If we were to remove any of them, we would not become the person we are. Just live your live and make memories. Never underestimate yourself or anyone .Now it’s time to speak up; you have a voice not an echo.

An essay I wrote in 7th grade.