Transphobia: It needs to end | Teen Ink

Transphobia: It needs to end

By JustinSmalls SILVER, New York, New York
JustinSmalls SILVER, New York, New York

Trust, but verify

As many people know, Caitlyn Jenner, formerly Bruce Jenner, recently debuted her new body and looks to the world on the cover of Vanity Fair.  This brave move was met with critical acclaim and support from hundreds of millions, especially garnering the attention of fellow transgender human Laverne Cox.

Unfortunately, no courageous move is met without an equal amount of hate, backlash and an all around lack of understanding.

Now, I am not a feminist, as I feel I haven’t earned the right to call myself that but I say, with pride, that I am an ally of feminism and I do all that is within my power to help promote equality and understanding.  And it breaks my heart to see so many people giving Caitlyn uncalled for hatred and fear.  Especially close family members.  What should have been congratulations, my godfather turned into disgusting transphobia by saying, “Scared to know there are some true freaks out there.”

And what hurts the worst is that there are people on social media who are mocking Caitlyn’s new appearance, saying that the way headlines describe it as “Brave” and “Courageous” and “Heroic” isn’t deserved, and that those words should be reserved for the soldiers of the United States Military. 

Now, I’m not a big fan of the military-industrial complex, but I respect the ideals that they stand for.  In a sense of the word, they are heroic.  But heroism isn’t just reserved for people who would die so others can live.  Heroes give people hope.  And people like Caitlyn and Laverne, people who have claimed their true identity and make no apologies for it, they’re heroes as much as soldiers, if not more.  Soldiers represent America’s past, always trying to solve our problems with guns.  Caitlyn and Laverne represent our future, encouraging everybody who feels they’re being forced to be someone they’re not to claim their true identity, and wear it with pride.

Why do people hate that?  Why are some people so against the freedom of choice and, ultimately, common sense?

Honestly, it’s disgusting and inexcusable to deny Caitlyn the respect she deserves.  And it’s also sad that it can be done simply by uttering the phrase, “She’s prettier than me!”  By saying that, you’re subconsciously holding trans women to a higher standard of beauty, while simultaneously claiming that you meet a standard of beauty which is higher than the bar set for trans women, which is transphobic and damaging.  Just call her beautiful, congratulate her on her bravery, courage and heroism, and keep/start being a respectful human being.

If you happen to find yourself making a comment along the lines of “She’s prettier than me,” “He’s prettier than me,” or “Bruce Jenner is such a beautiful woman,” stop.  Make a conscious realization that what you’re saying is wrong, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.  Caitlyn and Laverne deserve our respect.  Not just them, every trans, genderfluid, agender, asexual, gay/lesbian, bisexual, pansexual, demisexual and any other genders and/or sexualities I may have forgotten deserve our respect.  They’re amazing people.  Don’t deny them that.

It broke my heart to see all of this hate and lack of understanding, and I thought to myself, "It needs to end."

marcussmalls said...
on Jun. 12 2015 at 10:02 am
Awesomely worded article. Very well thought out and heartfelt. Good work!