Can You? | Teen Ink

Can You?

Sometimes I feel like bawling my eyes out. But I can't always do it. I'm usually surrounded by people. Then people ask what's wrong and I dont want to tell them. Or they judge me for crying. Whether its something really stupid, or not. But humans will be the selfish organisms they are. Its in our blood. Our DNA. Maybe we weren't always this way, but war and survival of the fittest did. Survival of the fittest still applies to today. It all depends on our choices. And choices lead us to where we are meant to go. Right or wrong, it will bring you to your fate, your destiny. I believe that I'm...I'm not perfect on the outside. And somehow, that really bothers me. I dont know why, but it does. I guess its because that's how others see me. My weight, my face, my hair, my eyes, my body shape, its what all people will see me as. My outside. And some pick out those flaws and destroy others, or themselves for that matter. I destroy myself. Don't cry I tell myself. It wont help. But I can't help but do it. Tear myself down. Its impossible. The face we stare into everyday, lets admit we all despise at one point or another. But its what inside that matters. And others will see that if they truly look or believe that the inside is better than the outside. And yet, we still care about our image. That's because it's in our nature. Our blood. Our DNA. And others dont care what others think. I only know two people who are like this. If only there were more of them, maybe, just maybe, we all might be a little less selfish and caring about every little detail others see. Its not me who's that great, so above the cultural norm of picking out each one of our own flaws, and tearing ourselves down to the very last piece. But I CAN see the ones who are. I wish I was more like them. You should too. So we don't all see the worst but the best. Try to pick out your best qualities each day, even laugh at your bed head in the morning. Try to do that for others and try to pick out the best in them. Not the worst. It impacts them and you negatively. You will only then continue to pick out the worst in people. And not see all their perfection in their own way, their unique qualities. So ask yourself, can you? Can you only see the good in yourself and others?

I can only say so many of you will say yes. I can't. But you can try to. If all this happens because of the media and physical standards for men and women-- then rise against this. We are taught this from a young age that 'skinny women with big breasts and curves are the right way to look.' And 'tall guys with abs is the right way to look.' So of course we pick out our flaws that dont live up to other's standards. But we don't have to have those standards. We don't have to be picky. We can just try to see the best in people so we can all live in a better environment for all types of people. So the question is, can you?

I really just wanted to say what was on my mind. And to be honest, I was crying during writing this. I just felt so insecure.