Violent Video Games | Teen Ink

Violent Video Games

In 2000 5.5 billion U.S. dollars were spent on video games then in 2010 it jumped up to 17.1 billion then dropped to 15.4 billion in 2013 according to Statica. With sales that high video games have jumped up in popularity a lot over the years. Media and video games don’t mix from all the terrble thing that have happened with video games over the years with getting more violent and agrrestion have been increasing a lot and most of the time when there are shooting video games take most of the hit from cnn. Video games have been blamed a lot and today i’m going to be talking about video games, shooting, and misogyny.

To some, video games are one of the best things ever invented. “From Fps to an Rpg to a sport game everyone has their own favorite type of video game” quoted from Gamespot. From the games on the brown box to the xbox one or ps4 the level of violence has increased majorly. One of the the first games pong are really different from Grand Theft Auto. With shooters being more popular media thinks that’s why people are shooting people up more often.
Shooting, shootings are one of the most terring thing to think about when at school, mall or somewhere well populated during the day or night. Columbine high school shoot was one of U.S. most well known school shootings with 15 deaths and the shooters Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold committed suicide shortly after. Then a few years ago the Aurora Theater 12 killed and 70 injuried and it was on opening night of The dark knight rises . Then The sandy hook elementary 20 kids died and 6 staff members and all killed by 20 year old Adam Lanza.

Misogyny has had a lot more notice in video games. Gta with the normal killing you could actually get a hooker and have strip clubs that you can go and kill or blow up other people at your will. Custers revenge is about a old west where the goal of the game is to “do it” with as many female characters as you can. Dead or alive paradise was a game with basically has a fun function sex mini game. With misogyny in games being increased we still have to understand its a game not real life.

In conclusion video games aren't just mindless activities, they are to some, ways to make friends ,stratigy builders ,a great thing to do to work better with team work. With the different types of video games, to the school shootings that video games get blamed for, and the misogyny that people think are problems video games are nothing more then a fictional reality and not real life.