Animal Testing | Teen Ink

Animal Testing

By KaylaMelhouse SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
KaylaMelhouse SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Imagine being locked up in a dark, unsanitary cage, without knowing when someone was going to torture you again. Being in so much agony that you just want to rip your hair out and gnaw on your skin. And in the end killed because you're of no use anymore. Sounds horrible, right? Thats what millions of animals are going through right now. I personally think that animal testing is terrible but I think under very serious medical reasons it's better than using them for cosmetics and household items.

The supporters of the Ethical Treatment of Animals say the most commonly tested animals include mice, rats, rabbits, primates, cats, and dogs. These animals are locked inside cages in laboratories. Once they are tested on the first time they either get locked back up in the cages or killed. The stress caused after being tested causes some animals to develop neurotic behaviors like incessantly spinning in circles, rocking back and forth, pulling out their fur, and biting their own skin.

A website called Do Something said more than 100 million animals are tortured and killed in U.S. laboratories each year. Some of the more popular products that are tested on animals are Axe, Banana Boat, Cover Girl, Dawn, Huggies, Kleenex, Maybelline, Neutrogena, Sally Hansen, Vaseline, and Windex. Here are some of the many dreadful things animals are forced to go through. Forced chemical exposure in toxicity, this can include force feeding, forced inhalation, or injection to the skin, abdomen, or muscle. Another thing they are forced into is exposure to drugs, chemicals, or infectious diseases to an amount that causes illness, pain, distress, or even death.
There are lots of ways that ordinary, everyday people can help animals who can’t defend themselves. The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals says a good way of preventing animal abuse is to treat animals nicely and make sure to teach your kids to treat animals nicely as well. If you see animal being abused call the police or local animal control and report with as much information as you can. Dosomething.org is doing a challenge called Kidnapped cosmetics, you basically kidnap your friends cosmetics that are made by brands that test on snimals so your friends know not to buy them any more, sort of like a punishment to the company by getting people to stop buying things from them. For signing up to the Kidnapped Cosmetics challenge you get facts on animal testing and tips for talking about the issue with your friends, also you get put in a drawing for a $10,000 scholarship.

As much as I’m against animals being abused and tested I do think there is a tiny amount of need for animal testing. I think it's cruel and wrong to test cosmetics and household products on animals but I feel like for very important medical reasons if it comes to the worst possible scenario. If I had a deadly disease and only months to live, but not able to take a medicine because it’s not safe, I would be kind of upset because no one would be able to make an effort of saving me.

So in conclusion I am against animal testing one hundred percent but I do think under serious medical reasons if it comes to the worst possible case I think it would be slightly less terrible than testing animals for cosmetics and household products. Always check the labels on things you buy, make sure your not buying products that were tested on animals.