The Drug Revolution | Teen Ink

The Drug Revolution

By Mackenzie Fimmen SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Mackenzie Fimmen SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

A prescription drug is defined as a pharmaceutical drug that legally requires a medical prescription to be dispensed. Here in America, prescription medication use is popular among patients. From having a common cold to a mental illness, most Americans turn to prescription medications for help. In some situations, these medications may be the best thing for a person. In other situations, are these drugs really necessary to solve the problem? The topic of over-using and misusing prescription medication in America is definitely on the rise. Some things to consider on this topic are the types of drugs being overused, the amount of people using them, and how countries outside of America view the use of prescription medication.

There is a category of drugs that are the first most commonly used in America called antibiotics. Antibiotics are quite important in the world today. Penicillin and other antibiotics have played a large roll and have created a huge benefit when it comes to treating bacterial infections and preventing the spread of disease. However, there is also a problem with antibiotic medication. Overuse of antibiotics, especially taking them when they aren't even necessary at all, creates issues, according to Mayo Clinic Health Care Professionals. A study conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states that 4 out of 5 Americans are prescribed antibiotics each year. Antibiotic resistance is a huge concern when it comes to antibiotics and one of the CDC's top priorities. Because people repeatedly and improperly use antibiotics, bacteria have learned to resist them, making the drugs ineffective against certain strains. Drug companies can hardly keep up with these evolving bacteria. It is recommended to only use antibiotics when the patient needs them and has been tested for a major infection, in order to prevent further issues.

The second type of drug most commonly used in America are antidepressants. An estimated 1 in 4 Americans experience a mental health disorder like depression or anxiety in a given year, according to the National Alliance on Mental Illness. The first kinds of treatments doctors prescribe for mental health disorders are typically medication (antidepressants) and different types of psychotherapy. Antidepressants are quite often inappropriately prescribed for normal human reactions to different life events, which then leads to a diagnosis of a lasting mental health disorder due to taking the medication. Critics call this the chicken-and-egg phenomenon. Most antidepressants work by changing levels of the hormone serotonin in the brain, boosting the mood of the individual. Serotonin is produced in the gastrointestinal tract of the body and is the main hormone affecting social behavior, mood, appetite, sleep, memory and sexual function. Writing a prescription for a mental health condition is simple, but it might not always be the safest route for people. “I would say at least half the folks who are being treated with antidepressants aren't benefiting from the active pharmacological effects of the drugs themselves but from a placebo effect," stated Steven Hollon, PhD, a psychology professor at Vanderbilt University who has done much research on antidepressants. "If people knew more, I think they would be a little less likely to go down the medication path than the psychosocial treatment path."

Although antibiotics and antidepressants are the most common, there are other drugs America may be over-using as well. According to a study conducted by Benson Ninan, Pharm.D., and Albert I Wertheimer, PhD, there are a number of pharmaceuticals on the market in the United States that have been banned elsewhere. Five commonly used drugs are still on the market in the United States that are banned overseas. Avandia, a Diabetes medication, is associated with a 64 percent increased risk of heart failure, a 27 percent increase in strokes, and a 43 percent increase in heart attacks. Actos is another Diabetes drug associated with an increased risk of bladder cancer. Even though the FDA has issued a warning about the cancer risks, this drug is still a bestseller in the United States. Soma, a muscle relaxant that acts on the central nervous system, acts much like alcohol and is very addictive. Norway and Sweden are two of the countries that have pulled this drug off the market because of its intolerable side effects. Phentermine is a stimulant that contains one-half of the ingredients in the diet pill “fen-phen” (fenfluramine) that the FDA took off the market in 1977 because of heart valve complications with its users. The last group of drugs on this list are barbiturates. They are central nervous system depressants that are used to treat insomnia and anxiety disorders. They are banned overseas because of potential fatal intoxication and addiction/abuse.

Here in America, prescription drugs are popular among patients, and are sometimes quite helpful. On the converse, over-using and misusing prescription medications here is an issue. The two major categories of drugs being used in the United States are antibiotics and antidepressants. Most Americans are prescribed drugs each year, but it may not always be necessary to solve their problem. America also continues to okay a number of drugs that are completely banned overseas. To iron out these concerns, we need honest healthcare professionals and intelligent government officials who know exactly what will be best for patients of America. We’ll live in a country where all citizens will be given the best opportunities for the help they need and nothing will get in their way. There won’t be any potentially fatal drugs, and doctors will only prescribe medications that are sure to help assist patients in getting back on track with daily life. When all of this is fixed, America will be a much better place, and the people in this country will be bettered as well.