Capstone: Gender Inequality | Teen Ink

Capstone: Gender Inequality

By Rosie Gruen BRONZE, Memphis, Tennessee
Rosie Gruen BRONZE, Memphis, Tennessee

I grew up surrounded by Orthodox Jewish women. My mother’s family was one of the most highly respected Jewish families in the city, who was also notorious for gossiping. Early into my childhood I became familiar with the term yenta, a Yiddish word for a woman who tends to gossip. At the Shabbat dinner table on Friday nights, I heard appalling tales of “nice, Jewish girls” who had grown up and married a gentile or had decided not to have children. I was not exempt from words such as this. From a very young age, my grandmother would tell me to grow up and marry a nice, Jewish doctor. I would constantly turn these words over in my head, and although I knew that my grandmother did not mean to be insulting, I was unsettled by the constant reminders of my small worth, as they seemed to me. My mother would tell me to disregard them, but I simply could not accept the fact that my grandmother believed that the only way that I could have a happy adult life was to marry a wealthy Jewish man. After hearing these words again and again from people whom I did not even know, my brain became wired to notice other inequalities surrounding me in my Jewish life.

My synagogue was situated so that the men sat on the floor and the women sat on balconies on both sides, forcing complete isolation between both genders. Although the women still took part in the prayers, our participation was greatly hindered. While the men danced in song, the women stood and awkwardly clapped, while I followed with my eyes longingly. I loved to sing, and often wondered why I could not join the choir. When I would ask my mother, she would purse her lips, knowing that no answer could possibly satisfy me. When my Bat Mitzvah came, I became upset over the fact that I was unable to read from the Torah simply because I was a girl. After the fact, I realized that I did not even care about reading the Torah; I just wanted the opportunity. These experiences shaped my mentality greatly and sparked my interest in women’s issues and gender equality.

Throughout history, specifically in European cultures, men and women have been given different roles and different responsibilities. Generally, men would work and provide for the family, while the women would tend to the children and the house. These are preconceived ideas that the majority of Americans have taken to be true, but why? To understand why these ideas are in place, one must trace back to the origin of different populations. In Europe during the colonial period, it was believed that civilized nations separated men and women. Because African civilizations did not do this, it led to the belief that they were less civilized than the Europeans. Although it seems like an archaic practice, the idea that women and men should be given separate responsibilities has carried through to major events in history and exists even today. Until 1934, a woman’s American citizenship depended upon that of her father or husband. Until then, if an American woman married a foreign man, her citizenship would be revoked, suggesting that a woman’s worth depended solely on the worth of her husband.
The most defining quality that has set men and women apart throughout history is the ability for women to bear children. Because women possess an ability to give life, since the dawn of time, their duties were related to that ability. They were seen as the primary caretakers of a family and did jobs such as cooking, cleaning, and anything else that would make the family and husband’s life easier. Women were expected to marry young, which suggested that their sole purpose in life was to find a man for whom to care. The duties of women revolved around serving man, defining them as servants of the superior gender.

The first feminist movements began in the 15th century, but feminist activism did not truly take off until the 19th century. After the presentation of Enlightenment ideals in society, such as the belief that everyone is born with equal rights, women began to take action and promote equal rights between both genders. Many female role models supported this idea of feminism, such as the Brontë sisters and Jane Austen in the 19th century, which really helped the movement get off the ground. They wrote about women’s struggles and frustration. Women also made advancements in the medical field with famous women such as Florence Nightingale. Small movements took place all around the world, but one of the major feminist movements took place in the United States with the petition for women’s suffrage. The women’s suffrage movement was led by Susan B. Anthony, who got the signatures of over one million women who showed support for this movement. Anthony’s dedication and determination to her cause “helped pave the way for the Nineteenth Amendment (1920) to the Constitution, giving women the right to vote” (History.com Staff). The women’s suffrage movement’s success marked a new era for women’s rights and equality.

Today, movies, TV shows, and magazines are at their peak of popularity. Never before have people been so engaged in and affected by what they watch and read, which is one of the main reasons as to why gender discrimination is still so prominent. Today in the media, attractive women are portrayed as skinny with hardly any body shape. Many models appear too thin or malnourished, suggesting that beauty has one universal definition: unhealthy. The fact of the matter is that many models are altered to look the way they do in magazines, proving that certain body shapes are simply unattainable, even for the “most beautiful” women. All of these matters combined hold women to a certain, unfair standard and makes it extremely difficult for them to have a positive body image. When it is so easy for women to be altered this way, it also makes it easier for them to be objectified. Especially in the ad world, women are sexualized so much that the ad begins to sell sex instead of the actual product, which is why this has become such as successful sales tactic. The depiction and objectification of women in magazines today demonstrate how far society has yet to go to equalize women. 
While instances like the aforementioned suggest that there is much regression in the media, there are actually many examples of progress. For example, a Netflix show, Orange is the New Black, is a drama/comedy focused on a women’s prison. There are hardly any men in the show, which leaves hardly any room for conversations about men. The show tends to be very dark at times, which rejects the possibility that it is a “girly” show. There have also been breakthroughs in the advertising world. The brand Always has created a commercial in which they tell teenagers to “hit like a girl” or “throw like a girl.” They respond by doing these actions in the weakest ways possible, as most people would if they were asked to do something “like a girl.” After this, they asked young girls to do these actions the same way. They reacted by running fast, throwing hard, and punching with all of their might, showing that doing something “like a girl” should not be seen as a negative thing. Shows like Orange is the New Black and commercials like this prove that there is always room for improvement and ways to push gender equality.

In many religions, women are seen as lesser individuals and are given fewer opportunities than men. In Jewish orthodox communities, women are not allowed to read from the Torah, wear clothing that exposes their shoulders or legs. Once a woman is married, she must wear a wig to cover her hair, while men are able to engage in everything. As a result of these limitations, women are unable to participate in their religion, which can make it more difficult to feel connected to their religion. This is also the case in traditional Muslim societies. Women must wear hijabs to cover their face and head, and in some cases, must wear full-body cloaks. They are prohibited from doing everyday things, such as driving or receiving an education. In addition to restrictions such as these, they are obligated to take care of a family, even though many orthodox religions do not believe in contraception. This is a major reason as to why many third-world countries have extreme fertility rates. Because women have to take care of such large families, it becomes much more difficult for them to advance in society. Because so much of the female population lies in these countries, it becomes much more difficult for women advance as a whole.

There have been many advocates for the elimination of inequalities such as these. One of the most well-known and empowering examples of this is Malala Yousafzai. Malala is a seventeen-year-old Pakistani girl who became an international symbol of feminism and the youngest Nobel Prize recipient in history. For years she wrote under a pseudonym for BBC, which recounted her life in Taliban-occupied Pakistan. Recently she rocketed to fame when she was shot in the face by a member of the Taliban on her way to school. Since then, she has appeared on many talk shows, educating people about her cause and gaining many supporters in the process. The fact that a teenage girl, who hardly ever get credit for anything, who lives in Pakistan, one of the most conservative countries in existence that is controlled by one of the most oppressive groups in history, was able to make her cause known is enough to provide hope for people all over the world. People like Malala Yousafzai prove that anyone can overcome adversity.

Perhaps the most overwhelming example of gender inequality is simply the role that women serve today. Although gender equality has come a long way toward improvement, society must progress much farther in order to truly achieve gender equality. Women are expected to be the primary caretakers of the house, which makes it difficult for them to get jobs and advance. Within this assumption exists a major stereotype, one that could be detrimental to women’s progress. Of the women that do work, on average, women earn 77 cents to every dollar that a man earns for doing the same job. This fact demonstrates just how real this issue is. Although there has been progress for gender equality in the work force, “the gap has barely narrowed since the mid-90’s” (Brinton). Although this is a shocking realization in itself, there are other appalling facts that should be brought to the attention of the public. There is also a huge ratio of men to women in the workplace, suggesting that there is perhaps another factor involved when hiring employees other than merit. Also, women’s representation in government is, frankly, underwhelming, with women being “a tiny minority at the cabinet table.” (The Guardian) Of those women, the majority is liberal. While this can be seen as a positive because it means more rights for women, it demonstrates the extreme lack of representation for conservative women and women in general. It is clear that in order to equalize women, society must make major adjustments.

While all of the previous facts demonstrate the inequality within society, the single most controversial topic of all when it comes to the gender inequality discussion is rape culture. Rape culture is a term used to describe a society where victims of rape are blamed based on what they were wearing, whether or not they were drinking, and whether or not they were out alone. This holds women to an unfair and impossible standard. By saying things like this, society suggests that in order to avoid rape, women must wear demure clothing, never get drunk, or even have a drink, and always go out with others. In other words, society is suggesting that women must compromise their happiness and freedom in order to avoid becoming victims of rape.

It seems that a problem like this can be easily avoided, but so many aspects of society encourage this mentality. School dress codes, for example, are often very restricting to girls. Girls may not be allowed to wear shorts, tank tops, or anything that may possibly be viewed as “too revealing,” and many schools send girls home for wearing inappropriate clothing. While there is definitely a limit as to what girls should and should not be wearing at school, arguments should not be limited to “it’s a distraction to the boys.” Telling girls that they need to dress so as not to distract boys is telling them that boys’ education is more important than girls’ education when their school day is interrupted for them to change clothes. Personal stories of rape victims suggest the same. Zerlina Maxwell, who was raped in college, reveals that when confiding in someone about the rape, she was asked, “You were drinking, what do you expect?” Responses like this only discourage rape victims from coming forward for fear that they will be criticized or blamed.

To many, these facts may seem like an exaggeration, but statistics show otherwise. One in four women will be raped at some point in their life, a horrifying fact. Also, although it seems unlikely, 82% of sexual assaults that occur are committed by people who know the victim. Sadly, it is also one of the most underreported crimes for fear that they might anger their assailants. In a national survey, it was discovered that only 16% of the rapes that the interviewees had experienced were reported (Rape in America: A Report to the Nation). This makes it much more difficult to stop rape because so much of it is left unreported. In a recent study, it was revealed that nearly one-third of college men say that they would rape a girl if they were guaranteed no consequences. Because rape in college settings has become a huge problem, information like this is both disturbing and heartbreaking. It also implies that rape education takes the wrong approach. Girls are constantly told by parents, teachers, and others that they should not dress or behave a certain way because it may attract rapists. Perhaps information like this might reverse this trend. Instead of teaching girls how not to get raped, maybe boys should be taught not to rape.'

Although it is true that women’s equality has come a long way since the issue was first brought up, there is still much farther to go until both genders are given equal rights and opportunities. Also, though the biggest issues under the umbrella of gender inequality are women in the media, religion, and society, the aspects of gender inequality are practically endless. This also means there is also more room for improvement. However, the only way to ensure equal rights in the future, it is necessary for society to change. Women can push for equality as far as they can, but until society recognizes and attempts to remedy the problems that keep the genders separate, it is impossible that any advancements will be made. It is also impossible that anything will change overnight; gradual progress is still progress.

Works Cited
Brinton, Mary. Gender Inequality and Women in the Workplace Harvard Summer School.
History.com Staff. Susan B. Anthony. 2010. 23 February 2015 .
"Rape in America: A Report to the Nation." National Victim Center, Crime Victims Research and Treatment Center, 1992.
The Guardian. "Gender inequality: for society to thrive, women must thrive." The Guardian 18 January 2014.