Cruelties of Society | Teen Ink

Cruelties of Society

By Izabella_Kate SILVER, Boyne Falls, Michigan
Izabella_Kate SILVER, Boyne Falls, Michigan

Don't ever regret something that once made you smile.

We are all forced to live up to the standards of scociety. Well I believe that society should have to live up to our standards.

Who is in the right to say what is acceptable and what is not? Who gives anyone that power?

We live in a world where it is societally acceptable for a young girl to look above her age and to flaunt herself, but at the same time as soon as a woman takes off all the facades of the day she is not accepted. We live in a world that encourages fakeness over truth.

We live in an era where it is "okay" for people to judge others based on their appearences rather than their personality. Where it is "okay" for people to look down on someone just because they happen to not be able to afford the same attire as us.

I'm sorry, but last time I checked this country was supposed to be based on equality of all people. And yet no one is treated that way. Everyone is forced to live up to everyone elses standards and pretty soon they lose sight of what really matters to them as an individual.

Everyone should stop worrying about everyone else so much and focus on themselves.

You can't make anyone else happy until you learn how to make yourself happy.

BrennaGreen SILVER, Machias, New York
This is a great piece. I know many people can relate. The line "everyone is forced to live up to everyone elses standards and pretty soon they lose sight of what really matters to them as an individual" really stood out to me because I think that is a big problem in society. I love this piece. Keep writing!!!

on Apr. 3 2015 at 6:03 am

To explain what I was trying to get at with the line you were confused about: when I said facades I was describing things like make-up and socially accepted clothing. When I wrote that line I was more getting at the fact that women have to put up pretenses to be accepted.

Caesar123 DIAMOND, Union Grove, Wisconsin

"Madness in great ones must not unwatched go" --Claudius in William Shakespeare's Hamlet

Uh, it's okay. I'm not sure what you're driving at with the woman who "takes off all the facades of the day". But to answer your question, "who gives anyone that power" I'd say God. He sets morals, and standards are up to us, but preferably I'd rather not have a bunch of radicals being mainstream-ized simply for the sake of their not being "equal".