Self-Esteem Down the Drain | Teen Ink

Self-Esteem Down the Drain

March 23, 2015
By brooke kobashigawa BRONZE, Wailuku, Hawaii
brooke kobashigawa BRONZE, Wailuku, Hawaii
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

We’ve all heard about how the media’s images of ideal beauty affects women, but what about guys? The ads shown on T.V today portray these muscular, stoic “ideal” men to us, setting unhealthy expectations for men and even young boys. They start to become more wary and unsure about what they should and shouldn’t do, trying their best to set aside their natural senses, emotions, and actions for the sake of being seen as the “perfect guy”. The media needs to start accepting that we are “humans” and that we connect with each other through our characteristics and personalities. We shouldn’t let the media change this.


The media  perpetuates male stereotypes in two ways, whether it be in movies, TV shows, or commercials. Men in the “key” positive character roles are usually portrayed more predominantly.“Less manly” characteristics such as sensitivity and fearfulness are usually displayed in supporting characters, making the main character look more inferior in the commercial. Sometimes; we may question ourselves, “do we watch men on T.V and feel unlike them and intimidated, or do we try to relate to them as real people, feel inspired, and learn from them?”


Men from commercials, magazines, and even billboards make us feel like weaklings or outcasts, while those who oppose say otherwise. They might say that these “ideal” men can inspire the men in the audience, making them want to be that “certain guy” shown on T.V. In a way, you can look at this situation in a positive perspective. Perhaps these men could be showing the guys that they have potential into becoming just like them. However, if men decide to become someone they're not, it only makes them more vulnerable to how they may appear to others since they have no identity. Commercials limit men from trying to find out who they really are, instead of encouraging them to be themselves.


Stereotyping in the media is powerful because they affect our expectations of what men should and shouldn’t do. It can even raise women’s expectations toward men. Even on dates, all they might be doing is compare how their date is unlike the guy they saw on T.V. This kind of pressure narrows men’s notions or feelings of what they can and cannot do. In my opinion, I find it quite stupid that the media is allowed to create these types of images all just based on opinions and assumptions. It’s like the media is always trying to shape men’s views on how they should act, and how successful they are as a man.


The media shouldn’t be allowed to decide what’s right and what’s wrong. They should only put out “real” men that we can all relate to. It could make us feel more confident seeing that there are even famous people on T.V displaying the same characteristics as us. The media just needs to wake up and realize that we are men, not molds of perfection!
  
Citations:
www.medialit.org/readingroom/how-do-media-images-affect-men-affect-our-lives
www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/03/body-images-increasingly-affect-boys/283897