Connecting with People | Teen Ink

Connecting with People

March 23, 2015
By lexilexilexi BRONZE, Wailuku, Hawaii
lexilexilexi BRONZE, Wailuku, Hawaii
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Are you one of the 47 percent American adults that waste your time on social media sites?  According to ProCon.org you are not alone!  People spend lots of time connecting on social media sites.  Is this healthy?  Are we losing connection to the real world? We should put down our phones and spend time with family and friends.

Kids and adults are always glued to their screen looking at social media, playing games or constantly checking their e-mail.  First of all, 47 percent of American adults own a social media account (cnn.com).  Next, children who used social media sites while studying scored 20 percent less on tests than the average student (procon.org).  Lastly, most social media sites lack privacy policies.  They can leak your information on the internet and possibly to other people (cnn.com).

Although the internet wastes your time it can also be very useful.  Social media sites are the fastest way to share information, more than any other type of media (procon.org). Owning an account on social media sites can also be useful because you can also find job offers (procon.org).  Lastly, you can be recruited to colleges through social media.  About 75 percent of colleges use social media to increase the student retention (procon.org).

In conclusion, social media can be both good and bad, but I think that people are not connecting through the internet properly. I think that we should talk less through the internet and have a real life conversation.  Talking behind a screen is not the same as talking face to face with another person.