Brands > Personalities or Personalities > Brands? | Teen Ink

Brands > Personalities or Personalities > Brands?

By Nikkiooka BRONZE, Wailuku, Hawaii
Nikkiooka BRONZE, Wailuku, Hawaii

Brands > Personalities? or Personalities > Brands ?

We judge people by the brands they use, when we should be looking at their personalities instead. People think that if you use a popular brand like Vans or Nike then you are automatically a cool kid or you’re better than other people. But the truth is that we shouldn’t be looking at what people wear because clothing is nothing compared to a good personality. If you have a wonderful personality then having expensive clothing really doesn’t matter.

People argue that one brand is better than another, especially teens. They believe that brands are so important that, what they wear is their identity and image.  It has basically changed the way teens socialize with each other.  Teens can not look at someone without judging them, well at least not at my school. We have to wear uniforms, so we all look the same. But it has come down to judging people by what shoes they wear or what kind of bag they use. It really doesn’t matter what kind of shoes you wear, its just shoes. Although I believe uniforms are terrible others say that teens need to wear uniforms and it is good for us. But it really isn’t, making teens wear the same thing is like forcing a girl into boy clothes (not enjoyable).

The effect of this all is that people start to see you as a different person with a different brand. For example, Brandy Melville? Have you ever heard of that store? Well if you haven’t then you are considered weird. Brandy Melville is a popular teen clothing store. Every piece of clothing there is either size small or one size fits all. Most girls want to be like a Brandy Melville girl or at least look like them, the small waist size and the skinny legs that have thigh gaps. Teen girls don’t have a hard time getting this popular brand because it is cheap, most shirts range from $20-$45, wow. Some may say that letting teens express themselves by using brands are good for them. If a teen wears a “cool” brand then it helps their self esteem and makes them feel “cool”.

In conclusion brands are not good and they put a negative effect on teens. Teens socialize differently than they did 10 years ago because of brands. Certain stores make teens feel like they have to be a certain way to fit in or be cool. We the people need to focus on personalities more than we focus on brands.

Cites
www.huffingtonpost.com
www.apa.org