Lies, Lies, Lies | Teen Ink

Lies, Lies, Lies

By Cecilia.D SILVER, Ellicott City, Maryland
Cecilia.D SILVER, Ellicott City, Maryland

Why do we trust people when we know how easy it is to lie? I mean it's far easier than telling the truth right? Don't tell me you've never lied, we all have. From lying about little things like our favorite color or the number of people we've dated to our identity and who we are, we have all told a fib. Maybe one that was meant to help, or maybe one the was meant to hurt. We lie more than we shower, more than we write, more than we study, more than we learn, maybe even more than we sleep. But why? What does telling someone your name's Julie instead of Lucy do for you? What happens when you get caught? Are you going to lie some more? Say that Lucy's your middle name so you mom calls you that instead? You lose that person's trust and slowly but surely your relationship, as friends or more than that, begins to fade. They don't believe all the things you tell them. When you tell them they are amazing why should they trust you? You've lied before, you could do it again. Some how knowing someone has lied to you makes everything the say less and less true. It makes even the nicest compliments from them seem like nothing. But also why do we expect complete honesty from other when we've most likely lied to them? We get furious at people when we discovered they lied to us but in all honesty we've lied to them too, we just didn't get caught. And does us not getting caught make us any better? Does that mean that we're better than them because we didn't get caught in our lie? Lies just lead to more lies. It builds up like and upside down pyramid. It starts from a little lie and then gets cover by another and another and another unto its gotten so tall and so grand that it topples over. It could start from something like an age. Perhaps you say you 15 to impress a girl that's 14. Later on she discovers you're not in ninth grade, you're in eighth. She, like anyone else, asks why. In order to cover you're lie you tell her you failed a grade. Lets stop there. Your inverted pyramid is either down in the dust or pretty darn close. Maybe that's a deal breaker for her or maybe you're in luck. Either way there's many more ways your lie could crumble. Perchance she stays with you and she meets your family two years later. I think we all know how embarrassing and boastful your mother would be, discussing all your straight A's and how you've never failed a class and the fact that she admires how far you've come for a 16 year old. We know she knows you've lied. Not once, but twice. Her trust in you is slipping away and its only a matter of time before it's over if not immediately. The longer the lie goes on the more it hurts. There's so many ways that could have gone wrong and thats just one of them.