The Necessity of Abolishing Child Labor | Teen Ink

The Necessity of Abolishing Child Labor

February 26, 2015
By LHnguyen BRONZE, Plano, Texas
LHnguyen BRONZE, Plano, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

According to the International Labor Organization, there are “some 246 million children between 5 and 17 years old are working instead of attending school” around the world (ILO,  "World Day Against Child Labour 2002: A Future without Child Labour"). Since “1832 [when] the New England Association of Farmers, Mechanics and Other Workingmen officially condemned child labor,” people across the globe began to realize that its children should not be kept in such hazardous environments (Maki, "Timeline of Child Labor Developments in the United States"). In addition, they saw that children were restricted from gaining a proper education because of their work commitments. In modern-day America, people have not completely registered the dangers of children working on tobacco farms. It is unjust to make children work on tobacco farms because it negatively affects their health and it restricts them from pursuing an education.

A child’s health is fundamental to becoming an effective contributor in the society’s future.  “U.S. labor laws [state that] there is no minimum age for children to work on small farms” (Young, "Kids Deal with Vomiting, Burning Eyes Working on Tobacco Farms"). Young children, such as toddlers, should not work because they are inexperienced and have a higher tendency to be harmed in these perilous environments. The long hours that children work on tobacco farms leave them open to many “toxic pesticides [and] extreme heat” (Human Rights Watch, "US: Tobacco Giant's Move Could Reduce Child Labor"). Furthermore, children are exposed to numerous effects of nicotine poisoning: “nausea, dizziness, vomiting…[and damaging their] brain development” (The Editorial Board, "A Ban on Child Labor in Tobacco Fields."). The strong effects of nicotine poisoning tamper too much with a minor’s brain; it has negative “long-term deficits in developing structures by interfering with these cholinergic regulatory processes,” which releases significant amounts of neurotransmitters (Dwyer, McQuown, and Frances, "The Dynamic Effects of Nicotine on the Developing Brain"). The interference between the release of neurotransmitters decelerates the messages the brain sends out to the rest of the body. Therefore, this permanent scarring of the brain reduces society’s youths’ chances of learning from hands-on experiences.

A society’s advancements are based off of its children’s educational growth. At this young age, children’s minds are easily influenced by their experiences. These defenseless, hard-working children only learn about how to harvest and care for tobacco plants, while labor-free children receive an education about how to become literate, intelligent, and successful people. According to Humanium, “they work 14 hours a day during the harvest season, and usually end up abandoning their studies” (Gigon, "Children of United States of America"). As a result of rejecting their school work, the “U.S. was ranked 17th in an assessment of the education systems” worldwide (Gayathri, "US 17th In Global Education Ranking; Finland, South Korea Claim Top Spots"). In order to become as developed as the higher-ranked countries, we must ensure education to all children. Society solely depends on its children. If the society continues to have its children work on tobacco farms, then the society may lose some of its greatest possible leaders. Therefore, if children do not receive an education, then the society would not advance.

Capitalists, who gain money through these businesses, may see my ideas as too exaggerated. However, this is the most realistic theory of what could happen to society. According to Nelson Mandela, “the basic principle that to value our children is to value our future” (Mandela 222). I agree with this basic idea; children are the successors of the world's greatest leaders. If Nelson Mandela was forced to work on a tobacco farm, then he might have not become one of South Africa’s greatest leader. He would have been exposed to numerous diseases and would not have gotten a proper education. Additionally, the United States Constitution enabled women’s voting rights, Africans’ equal rights, and much more; it should be able to create children’s rights. By prohibiting employed children to attend school, society has no chance at further developing itself.

In conclusion, it is unjust for children to work on tobacco farms; it negatively affects their health and prohibits them from gaining knowledge through education. As Dagoberto Lima Godoy, a spokesman for the Employers Group at the 100th International Labour Conference, boldly stated,“It is not admissible that we stay inert before 150 million children engaged in [child labor] all around the world; We must act with all of the men we can gather to wash this shame out of our human civilization” (International Labour Organization, “World Day Against Child Labour 2011 ILO Events. Prod”). Children hold our future in their hands; we can not let them be physically, or mentally, harmed in these tobacco farms or any other hazardous work. Without a solid education, they would not achieve their full potential and fully contribute to society’s advancements. The United Nations have already started an organization against child labor. The United States should follow suit and take the lead.



Works Cited
ILO. "World Day Against Child Labour 2002: A Future without Child Labour." World Day Against Child Labour 2002: A Future without Child Labour. International Labour Organization, 12 June 2012. Web. 25 Feb. 2015. .
Maki, Reid. "Timeline of Child Labor Developments in the United States." Stopchildlabor. Stop Child Labor Coalition, 20 Oct. 2010. Web. 25 Feb. 2015. .
Young, Saundra. "Kids Deal with Vomiting, Burning Eyes Working on Tobacco Farms." CNN. Cable News Network, 18 May 2014. Web. 25 Feb. 2015. .
Human Rights Watch. "US: Tobacco Giant's Move Could Reduce Child Labor." US: Tobacco Giant's Move Could Reduce Child Labor. Human Rights Watch, 5 Nov. 2014. Web. 25 Feb. 2015. .
The Editorial Board. "A Ban on Child Labor in Tobacco Fields." The New York Times. The New York Times, 28 Dec. 2014. Web. 25 Feb. 2015. .
Dwyer, Jennifer B., Susan C. McQuown, and Frances M. Leslie. "The Dynamic Effects of Nicotine on the Developing Brain." Pharmacology & Therapeutics. U.S. National Library of Medicine, 2009. Web. 25 Feb. 2015. .
Gigon, Aurélie. "Children of United States of America." Humanium for Childrens Rights. Humanium, 6 Nov. 2011. Web. 25 Feb. 2015. .
Gayathri, Amrutha. "US 17th In Global Education Ranking; Finland, South Korea Claim Top Spots." International Business Times. International Business Times, 27 Nov. 2012. Web. 25 Feb. 2015. .
Mandela, Nelson. "PRESIDENT NELSON MANDELA’S STATEMENT ON INTERNATIONAL CHILDREN’S DAY." Springboard. N.p.: n.p., n.d. 221-22. Print. English Textual Power Level 5.
World Day Against Child Labour 2011 ILO Events. Prod. International Labour Organization. Perf. Dagoberto Lima Godoy. World Day Against Child Labour 2011 ILO Events. International Labour Organization, 10 June 2011. Web. 25 Feb. 2015. .