I Am Malala Review | Teen Ink

I Am Malala Review

I am Malala is a memoir by Malala Yousafzai. Yousafzai is an activist for education, and has won the Noble Peace Prize. In her memoir she revisits her memories of living in Pakistan, and how she got involved in the fight for education. Malala Yousafzai, a 16 year old student from Swat, Pakistan, fights for everyone’s education as her government condemns education. Throughout the memoir we learn more about Malala, and what inspired her to fight for education. This memoir also focuses on her father’s point of view on the Pakistani government and his struggle for fighting for everyone’s education. This memoir tends to use background stories that provides more information on the history of Pakistan and her family memories. Using background stories leads the memoir to introduce a variety of side characters that are forgotten or simply used as references. While this memoir is more aimed at high school readers, this is still an easy read for others. Compared to other memoirs like A Long Way Gone Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah, this does not focus events that Malala has gone through, but more recounts old stories of other people past, like her father’s life struggles. Further into the book Yousafzai starts to focus more on herself. There are times where Yousafzai uses the perspective of others to retell her story. She would do this late into her memoir when she was getting treated for her wound. The background stories of her family would help explain the origin of the problem that is present throughout the memoir. This memoir also talks about the many ongoing problems that Pakistan is facing currently. Showing the problems that everyday Pakistani people have to face helps enlighten the reader of theses hardships, which is what Yousafzai was intending to do. This memoir is a good read overall. There were times when it felt quite slow, and had too much detail that was not necessary.  Toward the end of the memoir, the pace starts to pick up as there is less background. This memoir would appeal to readers who want know more about the Middle East. The memoir is not too lengthy, but not too short.  While this memoir can drag on in some chapters, it is still an eye opener for people who don’t have too much background knowledge on Pakistan. This is an enjoyable memoir that provides a strong message to the reader as well as brings light to life in Pakistan.