The North’s Misconception | Teen Ink

The North’s Misconception

January 28, 2015
By Kojtsishlub2015 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Kojtsishlub2015 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

 Anyone shouldn’t judge a book from it cover. No one will know if it’s boring or not without open and read it. It could be scary, lovely, funny, and sad that’ll hook people’s eyes in without knowing it. From judging a beautiful cover to be interesting and awesome is not always the right choices. The book may be about something boring that people don’t like. If by any chance people will also lose interest in reading book by choosing the wrong books. People will regret choosing the wrong book by its cover. This is what happen to the Yuma 14 in Veracruz and Rosa and Enrique, the sibling in Guatemala.  These two group are having an adventure to the North, because of what they think it is. They have their own reason on going to the north. Enrique is trying to get always from persecution in Guatemala for killed on militia soldier. They decided to travel to the USA to make a better living there. The Yuma 14 is also going to the north for a better life because they are poor strong farmer working on field to survive. On their way to the north, they both experience the opposite and same difficulty, accept help from stranger, and step on the North’s hell cycle.

 

Going on different trail, gives people a different challenges. The Yuma 14 have to have to walk miles and miles in the desert, with only a couple bottle that they carry. If they ran out of water then they’ll die of hydration in the middle of nowhere.  Rosa and Enrique have to pass from Guatemala through the sewer then going around the mountains to pass the border.  They’ve found a coyote that agree to help them to pass the border. He try to kill them in the forest but failed. Finally they have found the coyote they were looking for. He an old man who knows Enrique’s friend at Guatemala. The old man agree to help the sibling to pay back the dealt from Enrique’s friend. They have to pass through the small narrow sewer in order for their existence to be unknown. With their choices they made, tis give them a new life span. They’ve caught harmful disease from rats in the small narrowed sewer. The disease may be harmful to their organism in the future. For example, in El Northe Rosa’s friend state ‘” Rosa’s going to die, Enrique!”  This mean that the disease are starting to get effect, and Rosa won’t be able to make it. They should just have to the mountain with a 50% chance live or die. It much better than being left alone without any blood relative. Enrique is left alone by himself again, now that Rosa die. The Yuma 14 may not have any disease, but they also have a path of death among them.


    No one should accept any help from stranger when the stranger is unknown to be good or bad. The stranger might rob or kill anyone who they parked as prey. The Yuma 14 met a coyote named Don Mio on their way to the USA. Without knowing Don Mio’s true character they accepted his help and also pay him an expensive fee for it.  The coyote couldn’t be trusted, because who know what they may do after gets the money. The coyote doesn’t have the heart to help the Yuma 14 in the first place. They only wants the money from them. For example in the Devil’s High Way the author state “Guias now give walkers cocaine to make them walk faster and longer. Of course, cocaine help their hart explode, too.” This mean that the coyote only trying to get the money out of them. Coyote doesn’t want to help the Yuma 14, but act like it to get the money only. In other word the Yuma 14 shouldn’t accept help from the coyote.    Finally, for all their hard work to come to the North, nothing changes. At first life in the North start to go will, but after a while life in the north start to falls back. Everything was the same as the beginning. Rosa die from disease leaving Enrique with no hope for the future. He has stepped into the hell cycle, with no ending, no future, and no pass. Everything repeats itself over and over again. This may applied to the Yuma 14 too. Nothing changed in fact the situation will be worse than the beginning. Just like what happen to Enrique. For instance in El Northe they kept showing the circles. The circle is a bad sign telling that something terrible is going to happen. Enrique's dad's head got chopped off, the full moon, and the death drum. This mean that the circle is a sign of trouble. Nothing will be change when they stepped on the hell cycle.


    In conclusion, the Yuma 14, Rosa and Enrique shouldn't have gone to the North. Just by going there, people have to die during the adventure or after a while in the North. They shouldn't have choose this path only because people say it can improve a living. No one know if it’s possible or not without trying it. Enrique start to regret, but it too late. Nothing can change what have happened and regretting won't be able to change anything. He has to bear with it for the rest of his life for what the choice they had chosen. The Yuma 14 may also regret coming to the USA after knowing its true colors.  This is what happen when people judge a place by its looks. The siblings see the USA as their star when they heard and see picture of the North. It’s best to know the reality than to be imagining it and expect it to be wonderful. Also these two group shouldn't have gone to the north when they only imagine the USA without seeing the reality.


The author's comments:

When i was writing this essay i was thinking why my family we went to Alska. When i asked my mom it was just that the advertisment is too great. It convince my mom to go to Alaska. When we get there it not like what my mom think it is. Ife over there is very hard and everything is expensive. My mom regret going to Alaska. This is what happen to the Yuman 14 and the sibling. From what my mom experince give me idea of how the Yuma 14 think like. It make me want to write this essay because i felt like i'm writing about myself.