Gay Marraige | Teen Ink

Gay Marraige

By Proudheart PLATINUM, Evansville, Wisconsin
Proudheart PLATINUM, Evansville, Wisconsin

"If you are going through Hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill

So many people get angry with the government for trying to control what they do: how they carry their guns is one of the biggest grievances people express with the government. However, many of these same people who get angry with the government because of gun control feel that the government should control whom is allowed to marry whom.

In my opinion, gay marriage should not even be a debate. What does it really matter if two men or two women wish to marry? If it does not affect you, it should not bother you. If you are a straight person, why should you want to ban gay marriage?

Gun control and gay marriage do not seem like similar issues, but they are. I personally agree with gun control, because the thought of people being able to carry guns on them makes me uncomfortable. However, people carrying guns on them has the possibility of directly effecting me if someone decides they are angry during an argument and chooses to shoot first and think later. No one is going to kill anyone else with gay marriage.

People state that homosexuality is a sin, and that marriage should be between a man and a woman. The Bible was written in a less accepting time when less was known about the world and people needed to make up answers for things they did not have. We now live in a time period where science offers many answers, so religion is no longer as large a part of our society as it once was. Something that is now followed or believed by all people should not govern us all. Whether religion has contributed to the government in the past, it should not contribute now.
Bans on gay marriage should be lifted in all states because they are based in the past. Our country wishes to move forward, but simply cannot if such old fashioned laws persist.

This is my opinion about why gay marriage should be legalized.