Time to Change! | Teen Ink

Time to Change!

By BearPride SILVER, Sherwood, Arkansas
BearPride SILVER, Sherwood, Arkansas

Never Give Up!

Okay so I know this is an embarrassing statement. I just got to hear a very touching song by Michael Jackson, called, The Earth Song. It really touched my heart in many ways. When I first heard the song, it made me want to see the music video and I recognized how bad our world really was and still is. And, honey, not just in this country all over the world, if I might add.

If you could just sit back and realize all the bad things that is going on in the world, we could name so many things that are wrong. We have riots, hunger, and the homeless. We have kids in need of better homes and better parents. We have the worst propaganda. We have homeless on the corner of the streets or under the bridges we drive under and all we do is drive by them like there trash.

The riots that we have, go overboard with their emotions. There not only destroying their own property that they pay for with their taxes, but there destroying everything that they could possibly use in their lives. And you know it’s sad, more than anything. It’s good to protest, and let your voice be heard, but when it comes to destroying everything, there’s a point where you need to stop. Trust me, if I was living in Ferguson, Missouri or any place that was having a protest, about something I feel strongly about, I would be there, holding up my sign and screaming at the top of my lungs.

Hunger is something that needs to be changed out of everything. Do you really think that there aren’t  people out there in the Land of the Free that aren’t starving for food? That aren’t praying for their next meal to come? That some kids are wondering when their next meal is going to be? Because there are. Just because we are the Land of Opportunities doesn’t mean that we’re perfect, because we’re not. If we have more opportunities than most countries, than how come we don’t take the opportunity to change the world? To stop the hungry?

I remember one time, actually not too long ago, I saw about two men sleeping under an unused building, with sleeping bags covering them, because they were so cold. We past them twice, because we had to come back and park. I just thought, that one day, there will be someone that will take care of these people and get them off the streets. And you know what, I believe that person will be me! One thing that I do know about the homeless, is that some of them want help and some of them don’t. Some chose to be homeless and keep buying the drugs that got them there in the first place. Then, I know the ones that have no other place to go, because maybe their families have abandon them, because of drugs or because they can’t get up with life on their own two feet. But that’s why there are people like me, who are willing to help them get up and start a new and better life for themselves.

There are people that I go to school with that have parents that don’t care about them. And it’s absolutely sad. I know my parents wouldn’t approve of me bringing them home and giving them a better place and atmosphere to live in, but sometimes it’s tempting. I hate to see them come to school, covered in sadness. To know that school is probably the safest place for them to be, and to know that they really don’t even want to leave, because they're scared to go home. Where no attention or help is given to the child. But it’s all going to change.

One day, all this will change. They say it takes a special person to change the world or do something that extreme, but you know what?  We’re all special, so anyone can change the world! When are you going to take a stand?

This piece is about how bad the world is and who's willing to stand up and change it.