Freedom Essay | Teen Ink

Freedom Essay

By Cory Kaplan BRONZE, Merritt Island, Florida
Cory Kaplan BRONZE, Merritt Island, Florida

Freedom is something that people should fight for with everything that they have. The definition of freedom is that people can say what they want and not feel like they will get in trouble and that people can act how they want without restraint. Freedom is a great thing but it is certainly is not free. People had to fight for freedom and they need to keep fighting to keep the freedom. They should want to put everything they have into obtaining that freedom. There are 4 different pieces where ordinary people risk their lives for freedom of others. They didn’t think about themselves, they wanted others to be treated fairly and to be free.

The movie, The Power of One, P.K. the main character, wants Africans to be seen equal in the eyes of the public. P.K., the main character, has lost many loved ones in a short period of time in his life. That gives him more motivation to carry on with his goal. P.K.’s views on freedom was that everyone should be educated and free. At age 12 P.K. starts to box with Geel Piet while he is in jail during WWII. He was a very good boxer and he boxed anyone he could, even Africans. Also P.K. wanted all the Africans to be educated. While in South Africa P.K. was offered a full ride scholarship to Oxford University. He turned down the scholarship so that he could help the South Africans become free and have an education.

Revolution 2.0 is a short story on how Egyptians protested to overthrow the government. They were upset because the government was being unfair to the Egyptian people and they thought that they deserved more freedom. The Egyptian citizens wanted to address the poverty occurring in Egypt before it got out of hand. There are 2.5 million Egyptians who live in extreme poverty. They also want the government to help that number go down dramatically. The group wants to fire the Minister of Interior Habib El-Adly and they want to place a limit of only 2 terms the Egyptian President can serve. On Jan25 the peaceful protests will be held until they get what they want.

In Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. “Letter from Birmingham Jail”, he fought for there to be any more segregation between races. His definition of freedom was that he wanted the whites and blacks to be equal and both to be treated fairly. King Jr. held peaceful protests on this topic but not all of them ended up peaceful. He was arrested for being an extremist for equal rights for everyone. He just wanted all the races to be equally viewed and there to be no segregation in America. 

On January 6th 1941, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt gave his Four Freedoms speech directed to Congress. It was about four freedoms that everyone in the world should have; freedom of speech and expression, freedom to worship God however you want, freedom from fear, and freedom of economic understanding. FDR wanted all of those freedoms to be acted upon all over the world immediately. FDR didn’t want people to be afraid to say what they want of to have any fear at all.

The definition of freedom is that people can say what they want and not feel like they will get in trouble and that people can act how they want without restraint. All types of people from Presidents of the United States to a young man named P.K., fight for freedom for other people who are being discriminated against. All of the people in the 4 pieces of work fought with everything they had to get freedom for themselves, but most importantly, freedom for other people. Freedom has many definitions but the most important is what people do about it to gain that freedom.