Wisdom | Teen Ink

Wisdom

By ColeLayton BRONZE, Petal, Mississippi
ColeLayton BRONZE, Petal, Mississippi

Wisdom.  What is wisdom? Wisdom is nothing but an obscurity to a hormonal teenager.  A rarity found only in the minds of people who have required it over a lifetime.  It’s learned over the term of the senseless life of teenagers who seem to think they’re obligated to it.  Teenagers believe they are invincible, their thought process and ego gives them the confidence to believe they have an unlimited tap to the fountain of wisdom.  When actually the people they push away and disrespect the most have acquired more wisdom over the time that certain teenagers even existed.  People who are the actual taps to the fountain of wisdom.  Elders of the generations of teenagers families hold the key to such an immense amount of wisdom teenagers can’t fathom. 

Like the way someone’s grandfather could teach them how to quietly skull paddle when heading to the duck blind in the mornings, rather than loudly paddling and sending the ducks scattering out of their roosts to be harvested by other hunters.  Or when their dad tells them to cherish their high school football years because no matter how badly they want to step back on the field it’s an impossible feat; then when they skip practices and feel sorry for themselves when they’re  pushed to do their best they miss the entire point.  And after their last game of their senior year they regret how lazy and pathetic they were to miss those practices or those workouts.  They realize how much that last rep or that last sprint actually meant in helping them along the path of becoming a man and achieving the prize of receiving a drop of water from the fountain of wisdom.

Teenagers don’t realize the importance of wisdom and how much they actually have when they open their brains filled with ego and insensibility to the people who could actually bestow upon them the gift of wisdom.  Teenagers should respect the people who love them the most to be open to their advice and lectures when they tell them about being wise instead of rolling their eyes and walking away in ignorance like they think they should do.