Protest | Teen Ink

Protest

By Asuna BRONZE, Grand Prairie, Texas
Asuna BRONZE, Grand Prairie, Texas

“Stand up and walk. Keep moving forward. You've got two good legs. So get up and use them. You're strong enough to make your own path."-Edward Elric
Voiced: Romi Park and Vic Mignogna

Many times people protest about things they may not know much about, or they go about it in the wrong way. For instance, today while I was driving down the road there were a group of people protesting. Normally I would be fine with it, but I became angry when I realized the traffic was slow because they were blocking the road. As I drove closer to the protesters I could barely read their signs, and the ones I could read contained curse words and disrespectful comments. These people don't understand that they're making people who may have supported them turn away. 

Most of the time if you research and learn more about the subject you want to protest you'll be less encouraged to persue that protest. You begin to see how the pros outweigh the cons. I would also like to adress the public press. Sometimes I tend to believe the press makes things out to be more than it is. Things that are "racist" or "horrendous" may not be once you begin to look into the situation. 

Like my sister has asked many time over the past few weeks, "is the situation racist, or the public?" 

I hope people will begin researching social issues before attempting to conjure an argument.