The Horrors of Child Abuse | Teen Ink

The Horrors of Child Abuse

By rreinhardt BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
rreinhardt BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio

Scientists and doctors have proven the undeniable love held between mothers and their children. More than a bond connected by love, mothers and their offspring share a chemical tie as well. Oxytocin is responsible for many actions throughout the human body, one being facilitating childbirth and lactation. However scientists have found when combined with other hormones in the body, oxytocin forms a bond between mother and child not quite fully understood. If moms have no choice but to “love” their child, how could they possibly hurt them?

One of the most notorious cases of child abuse and murder is the Casey Anthony trial in 2008. Casey left her parents’ home where she had been living with her two year old daughter, Caylee, on June 15 after being accused by her mother of being “unfit” to take care of Caylee. Casey claimed she was traveling to Tampa to work at Universal Studios, so Casey’s mother, Cindy, called every day to check up on the two, and each day Caylee was out with their babysitter, “Zanny”. Then on July 13, approximately 31 days after Caylee and Casey left Casey’s parents’ home, they received a letter saying Casey’s car was in a tow yard and needed to be picked up. When Casey’s father reached the car he opened it to find Caylee’s car seat and toys still present in the back seat along with Casey’s purse and a strong, discomforting odor like something decomposing. Cindy then found Casey at the home of her boyfriend, where Casey broke down in a story of how the babysitter, Zanny, kidnapped Caylee on June 16th. On July 15th, a month after the disappearance of Caylee Anthony, Casey reported her missing. Evidence later showed this babysitter never existed and Casey had not in fact worked at Universal where she claimed to be employed. The skull of Caylee Anthony was found on December 11th, 2008 near the Anthony’s home, Casey however was found not guilty. Her story was that Caylee had drowned in the family pool, and George Anthony, Casey’s father, had covered up the death so that Casey would not be tried for child neglect. Casey was found not guilty on accounts of first degree murder, aggravated manslaughter, and aggravated child abuse. Casey Anthony has recently just filed to adopt a 2 year old daughter from Eastern Europe.

An article discussing the Casey Anthony case and tying it into the child abuse.