Does Our Society Take Care of Its Children? | Teen Ink

Does Our Society Take Care of Its Children?

By GrantF BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas
GrantF BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas

"I wish there was a way to know you were in the good old days before you actually leave them" ~Andy Benard

Care: /ker/ : noun
the provision of what is necessary for the health, welfare, maintenance, and protection of someone or something.

Society: /s??s??d?/ : noun
the aggregate of people living together in a more or less ordered community.

The definition of care is the provision of what is necessary for the health, welfare, maintenance, and protection of someone or something. Our society attempts to meet what is necessary for the health and welfare of all citizens, but may societies exist throughout the world. Our could refer to many, and in some ways society does care for children whilst in other ways it is lacking. In the ordered community we live in many organizations work to maintain health, welfare, happiness and shelter for children. Just a few miles down the road you may find hundreds of children without homes, even though our society provides and is willing to help those in need. This question is not a yes or no, but a statement to allow the one who is on the receiving end of that question to ponder what our society really is and if we are doing what we can to protect the children around us.

I was inspired to write this piece during an Orpahn Trains assignment we completed in Social Studies. This question was first asked by David McCullough in the documentary The Orphan Trains.