Homelessness | Teen Ink

Homelessness

By Upper_Lib BRONZE, Duluth, Minnesota
Upper_Lib BRONZE, Duluth, Minnesota

Isn’t it nice to have a nice warm bed, food to eat at any time, clean clothes, and a home? Every night in the United States, more than 600,000 people experience homelessness. About half of that population is individuals. One-third is in families. Around 60,000 are veterans. Every night people have to find places to sleep—in parks, under bridges, abandoned homes. They don’t have a “secure” place to stay. More than 5,000 people die every year on the street from illness, suicide and homicide among other things. There is still hope. A homeless person can receive help from shelters. Shelters provide food, clothes—casual clothes, winter clothes, shoes, etc.—and a place to stay. You can help. Homeless shelters are always looking for donations. You can donate barely used jackets, sweaters, shoes, boots, pants, hats, non-perishable food items, or anything that your local shelter will take. If you help, it will lower the amount of people experiencing homelessness. If you or anyone you know are homeless: Don’t give up on yourself or your peers. It will get better for you and everyone else in this situation.