Learn Our Language

This is a headline story right here! It has to be one of the top issues in the country today. I am referring to the "Press two for Spanish" issue. Why is this even an option? If someone wants to become an American badly enough, they should take the initiative to learn the language that is spoken here: English. I mean, does the government not know that by allowing a language barrier to exist inside our country, they are potenially limiting the progression of the country. There should not be a need for any type of translator in our country. How can we be called the top country in the world if the citizens within it are not able to communicate freely? "Press two for Spanish" is also one of the most annoying statements that can be uttered over the phone. Spanish is not the only problem either. It is all the gibberish and nonsense that has to be endured before actually having the opportunity to speak to a customer service officer or telephone operator. I believe that Americans need to keep it simple. Diversity is grand, but when it pertains to the language, there is a problem. I have a simple solution that will unify our country and tear down the language barrier: Learn our language or go home!

MisplacedTexan14 said...
I agree. They don't have to stop speaking spanish, but if they want to prosper in America they need to learn english. Isn't it akward when you meet someone and they barely speak english? When I lived in Argentina, everyone in my family worked hard to learn the language. Being on vacation is different. What the author is talking about is living here. If I were to move to China, yes, i would try to learn the language. People in other countries don't like it when you can't under... (more »)

penguin35 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 24, 2010 at 6:44 am :
Thank you! Someone else agrees!

Scripted said...
This is ridiculous and I can not believe the amount of people who agree with this. It is ignorant and borderline racist for you to complain about diversity and tell people of other cultures to "go home," based on "press two for Spanish." Believe me I would tear this article apart but frankly I don't want to waste my time on something that was written just to be "controversial." You didn't write this as your opinion; you wrote it as a means to generate buzz... (more »)

LearnOurLanguage replied...
Dec. 9, 2009 at 9:45 am :
I do not believe my article is one related to racism at all. I even point out that diversity is grand, diversity of culture, that is. I identify the language barrier as a hindering factor in our country's prosperity. Can a realization such as this be considered ignorant or racist?
Thank you for contributing to the "buzz" as you labeled it. I appreciate your opinion.

PK4evr This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I dunnooooo, if you were someone wanting to do business in China, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't wanna learn all that Chinese... saying that because I know Chinese and it's not easy...

proud2b said...
my opinion on the issue is that it's less of a hassle for someone who does understand english to listen to a couple easy words and press a button than for the service to not be offered and someone who does not understand english to attempt to understand what is being said. it's a minor inconvenience and it really says something about the patience and understanding of todays youth if they can't put in even a minimum amount of time and effort into insuring someone else has an easier... (more »)

Sunshineyday said...
I think that most people who live in America ARE learning English or at least trying if they don't know already. It's just that you can't learn in one day. Some people are even refugees, so they can't spend extra time at home in their mother land studying lest they get shot or blown up.

PoetOfNyx16 said...
Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:19 am:
I agree and disagree with you on some points. What i hate about people moving here from different countries who can't speak english, they fall back on that for an excuse. like when you ask a question, they say "me no speak english." and when they're in a group, they always speak spanish and look at you and laugh and you don't know whether or not they are talking about you so you can't defend yourself. But i get the whole thing where if they first get here and they d... (more »)

@L3Na This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 14, 2009 at 10:49 am:
JUST A POINT:
First off: If you were on a vacation in Mexico you would probably need an English button on the phone prompter because you don't speak Spanish. Understand that people who speak their native tongue do it because that may be the only part of home they have left. Just a thought.
Second: you're right, "diversity is grand". Now stop right there. Was diversity grand when this country was brought up on a massacre to the people of the feather and buckskin? B... (more »)

LearnOurLanguage replied...
Nov. 16, 2009 at 9:30 am :
I am glad that you took the time to read my article. It was meant to be controversial. Thank you for your interest. I am Cherokee, by the way

poetryluver123 said...
Jan. 13, 2009 at 1:07 am:
O.M.G! this was amazing! *claps hands* that was really good...I read it to four of my friends adn they all agreeed even my mexcan friends agree!!!! they do need to go home if they can't learn the language!

@L3Na This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 14, 2009 at 10:20 am :
Okay lets get something straight:<br /> Let me tell you, not every latino is mexican and not every mexican agrees with this. I am LATINA, and i believe as said earlier this country is a melting pot. Not every immigrant is/speaks spanish or is latino, for that matter. Look around you! <br /> Being native american as well, i believe the true languages of this "country" are Lakota, Abenaki, inupiat Aleut, and other aboriginal languages that still exist today. So why don't you get a cl... (more »)

LearnOurLanguage replied...
Nov. 16, 2009 at 9:30 am :

big pimpin said...
i really enjoyed the story, and rate the story real high.

heylookthatsreallymeanyouhavenoidea said...
America is the world's melting pot. Get used to it.

silentwhisper43332 said...
I understand your feelings about the language barrier in our country. I am a hispanic and my relatives that come here from a different country do try to learn english. I feel that the "Press two for Spanish" was made to maybe make their lives a little bit easier. English is not the official language of the United States.

glow glow said...
Jan. 9, 2009 at 3:20 am:
The point is understandable, the usage of words within the article itself are somewhat discriminatory, a more experienced writer would choose his/her words smartly and be perceived much better.

jenifersue said...
Great Article! I totally agree! And would like to say that whatever happened to an actual person just answering the phone anyway! It would be so nice to call somewhere and hear "Hello, how may I help you"! Things would be much better if we didn't have to press 1 or 2 or any number as far as that goes. Just speak to a nice "friendly" real person!

Stumpy_1393 said...
I completely agree with you! I mean, after everything we have gone through to be a FREE nation, why the heck shouldn't our other fellow americans learn OUR language? if they really wanted to be an american, they should take the time to learn the american language. Good point Man!

SloopyMcCoy said...
Agree. Many don't even seem to want to learn.