Learn Our Language

This is a headline story right here! It has to be one of the top issues in the country today. I am referring to the "Press two for Spanish" issue. Why is this even an option? If someone wants to become an American badly enough, they should take the initiative to learn the language that is spoken here: English. I mean, does the government not know that by allowing a language barrier to exist inside our country, they are potenially limiting the progression of the country. There should not be a need for any type of translator in our country. How can we be called the top country in the world if the citizens within it are not able to communicate freely? "Press two for Spanish" is also one of the most annoying statements that can be uttered over the phone. Spanish is not the only problem either. It is all the gibberish and nonsense that has to be endured before actually having the opportunity to speak to a customer service officer or telephone operator. I believe that Americans need to keep it simple. Diversity is grand, but when it pertains to the language, there is a problem. I have a simple solution that will unify our country and tear down the language barrier: Learn our language or go home!

BobbaJille said...
I agree with this but also disagree. I believe there should be options for what language you speak, kids that are in the United States should know English because it helps in getting jobs and helps being able to communicate with others. I also agree with some of the points made in others posts where it is hard to learn a foreign language. In schools we are required to take a foreign language for at least two or three years. And I think that we shouldn’t have to because most people that tak... (more »)

PenguinFeet This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Maybe you're the one who needs to learn a new language: Respect.

This is very offensive. My first language isn't English, and my parents don't speak English well either. Yet we have the same right as anyone to be here. This country is first and foremost about freedom. It's important to take into account the cultural diversity in our country. It's a good thing, and seeing it as an annoyance just seems bigoted and prejudiced.

America is a country of immigrants. "Our language" is n... (more »)

NataliaBoulevarde replied...
Nov. 23, 2010 at 11:55 pm :
I do believe this is a great comment, your parents and yourself as well as any other bilingual person who is a citizen of this country has the same rights. Constitutionally speaking, " all men are created equal" was written towards rich, white men, and so it has to be taken into consideration whether you have a loose or strict interpretation of our rights. For some people, they have a much more loose interpretation than they possibly should, yet at the same time this is the United States, and th... (more »)

whatshername said...
Im sorry but thats ridiculous. us americans can be so self-centered and think that every other country should do things to make our lives easie .So you should just press 1 and move on

Rosey_Angel said...
Have you ever learned English? It's much more difficult to learn if your not raised in an English speaking home than any other language. Also, most hispanics I know speak better English than I, but their parents don't speak English well because (and it has been tested) learning a language is even harder as an adult. Does your parent speak a second language... do you? If not why should hispanics have to speak a second language. That's dicrimination.

yah yah replied...
Nov. 14, 2010 at 6:46 pm :
I think that if you want to come to our country to live for a while, you should learn our language. If I were to go to A country for a long time I would need to learn they're language. I understand it is hard but so is everything else. DEAL WITH IT!! Jobs are hard life is hard. why is this so hard!!

Phantom_Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I sort of agree with you. While I don't think people should be kicked out of the country if they can't speak English (learn our language or go home?)-I do understand that it makes things much simpler for us and for the immigrangs. Further more, I don't understand why a person would want to go to a country and not attempt to learn the most common language, but that's their choice. The only question I have is-why English? It is by no means the first language spoken in this land. Have you forgoten ... (more »)

Dsmit replied...
Oct. 12, 2010 at 12:11 pm :
Of all the people who have said, "Why English?" you are the only one who has made a valid argument.

SlightlySarcastic This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

"... by allowing a language barrier to exist inside our country, they are potentially limiting the progression of the country."

While I agree that a language barrier can impede progress, there's one hitch in your position. Why should everyone learn English? Or rather, why just English? How many people do you know who were born in English-speaking households that can speak a second language? I've been to a school in France where they start learning a second lan... (more »)

earlybird_8 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
While I do agree that it's important for everyone to be able to communicate with each other, I don't believe that people should "learn our language or go home". Technically, America took over a huge chunk of Mexico, where they speak Spanish, a century or two ago. Should people who spoke spanish have been forced to learn a new language just because the people who spoke it had a bigger army? I understand that this was a long time ago, but take Canada as an example. Both the English and French sett... (more »)

SocialCollision said...
Jul. 30, 2010 at 6:37 pm:
Your bringing up a nice topic, BUT I have to disagree with you. It's their problem if they don't learn English. We are just as responsible to learn Spanish as they are to learn English!! When we know that more Hispanics are coming into the States, we should automatically realize that we should all have BASIC knowledge on each others language!  

♥♫music4ever25♥♫ said...
Jul. 28, 2010 at 11:35 am:
hmmm this makes sence, to a point. if someone was in our nation for a long time (let's say 10 years or more) and have therefore become a citizen and has a job, then yes, they need to learn our languge not only for our benefit and there's. this is not to say that english is the only languge they can speak. However if someone has been here maybe a year then truth be told that could be an extreme request.

ayesha1208 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 15, 2010 at 3:06 pm:
I think the article might have been better written if you had supported your opinion with facts. I won't tell you whether I agree or disagree with the opinion because that is irrelevant. However, the writing concerns me. Some concrete facts might have given the argument a better spine. Just my two cents.

MCRlover2011 said...
Jul. 1, 2010 at 10:46 pm:
I'm 50/50 on this i really am some days i'm pro learn english and other days i'm like eh it's a hard language to learn...

iloverain This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 4, 2010 at 12:25 am:
Are you criticizing immigrants that don't learn English, or the telephone help system? 

losing_but_not_lost246 said...
May 11, 2010 at 8:20 pm:
I have to be 100% honest, I think that you have to be one of the most narrow minded and arrogant people in America. This nation was built on the idea of everyone having equal rights, democracy, freedom, and a the idea of a melting pot. If it were not for the immigrants during the like 1880s or so...America would be almost nothing because while the rich white man ran the nation, it was the immigrants who didn't speak English that were the motor to the nation. It is still the same w... (more »)

annalena224 replied...
Aug. 2, 2010 at 2:19 pm :
I agree with you, Losing but not Lost. Not to mention the fact that it's totally racist. Racism never goes away, it just changes colors as opportunity arises. People are just so ignorant, everybody comes from somewhere. WE stole this land from the Native Americans. It's US that were to learn their language. So much for calling the U.S. the melting pot of the world....

Phantom_Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 5, 2010 at 2:28 pm :
Don't forget that originally, English wasn't spoken on this continent. Native American languages were the first. If the Native Americans had to learn English instead of us learning Cherokee, maybe it should be us learning Chinese instead of Chinese immigrants learning English? Just my opinion.

susu.ali replied...
Oct. 27, 2010 at 9:01 am :
i agree too...i'm surprised whoevr wrote this article is languageist (language racist lol) i speak too languages, i am a child of immigrants. i love this country and my home Somalia (in east Afirca) i was lucky becasue i learned somali first, than english before i started preshchool. i would just ask the author. what if you moved to Italy of Indonesia or South Afirca how would you liked it if ppl told you learn the language or get out???

MojoStealer95 said...
May 7, 2010 at 9:06 pm:
I disagree completely, have you even been out of the country to a non-English speaking country? Have you ever learned a second language? If you've never done any of these you really have no right to say that.