Learn Our Language

This is a headline story right here! It has to be one of the top issues in the country today. I am referring to the "Press two for Spanish" issue. Why is this even an option? If someone wants to become an American badly enough, they should take the initiative to learn the language that is spoken here: English. I mean, does the government not know that by allowing a language barrier to exist inside our country, they are potenially limiting the progression of the country. There should not be a need for any type of translator in our country. How can we be called the top country in the world if the citizens within it are not able to communicate freely? "Press two for Spanish" is also one of the most annoying statements that can be uttered over the phone. Spanish is not the only problem either. It is all the gibberish and nonsense that has to be endured before actually having the opportunity to speak to a customer service officer or telephone operator. I believe that Americans need to keep it simple. Diversity is grand, but when it pertains to the language, there is a problem. I have a simple solution that will unify our country and tear down the language barrier: Learn our language or go home!

dDawgg77 said...
youre stupid and why would you even be ignorant like that??? like seriously.

wtt777 said...
Apr. 7, 2011 at 9:19 am
I love the article you wrote. You are absoulutly correct on what you siad. They should learn our language if they want to be citezens of this country. Even if I moved moved to another country my first priority would be to learn that language. You are not ignorent, dont listen to anyone who tells yopu that.

AnnaBaldwin replied...
A human being, a child especially, has the capability to learn a dozens of languages, perhaps not fluently but that's besides the point. It takes time and focus, whether one is willing to take the time is the question. If someone wants to move to another country so bad, why not take the time to learn the language?

munizi said...
This is a very ignorant article. I wish I could send you to a foreign country and expect you to learn another language. Then maybe you would change your mind. Or maybe you would stay ignorant.

midnightsilence replied...
I agree that it's ignorant to expect an individual to disown their culture just to be accepted as a US citizen.  English is difficult to learn, and their is true beauty in diverse and foreign languages. The USA is said to be a cultural mixing pot, and to say "They" should learn our language is to isolate those with hispanic background who live in the US (and may even be fluent in English) which is to put up a barrier even more compelling than the language barrier.  "They... (more »)

bombthrower replied...
Aug. 14, 2011 at 10:29 am
what we are based on cultural freedom. 

EmoToboe said...

Hm...I disagree...first of all, yes, English is one of the most difficult languages to learn...

Not to mention that I find other languages, such as Italian and Japanese to be interesting....beautiful even....

Nivnek said...

This. Is. Terrible. You make it sound like people that come here DON'T want to learn English. The truth is, they do. But English isn't easy to learn; English is developing new slang everyday and it has the most words in it. My English class discussed the English language once and discovered it has about 10x as many words as Chinese, which has a large variety of words as is.

Also, learning English comes with risks(surprisingly). Learning English can make your native language fade. Why? ... (more »)

jomi973 replied...

totally true! english is hard to learn.

I have almost lost my native language. I can understand it but I cannot speak it as well as before. Whenever I try, english comes out instead. it is so embarrassing! 

Dreamboat said...
Is this not the land of oppertunity, don't  people from all over the world come to america to be part of something better? Why should immigrants have to learn our language if we are welcoming them with open arms. If you really dont want to have trouble communicating you should learn how to speak another language like Spanish, french or Manduran, two of which are taught in most public schools. Por favor aprendes una orta idioma. 

wtt777 replied...
Apr. 7, 2011 at 9:22 am
You have no clue what your talking about! If they move here and want to live here they need to adapt to the majority here we do not need to adapt to them.

ShontelleSymone replied...
Keep in mind that the latino population is quickily becoming the majority.

Genya This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

Americans should learn British or go home...

Except that, America has so many ethnicites, that really, the world is our home.

Sorry, but English is a bit of an irrational language, and very hard to learn. Some people don't have the time or money to learn it, nor is returning back to their home country (because of war or genocide) an option.

Maybe you should consider that before assuming every Spanish or alternative language speaker is just coming here to make things more ... (more »)

Dreamboat replied...

Yes I very much agree, I see nothing wrong with people learning english but you can not ask someone to give up their culture just to escape persicucion.

Dreamboat replied...

Oh alos wtt777 I do know what I am talking about. So please dont insult me.

Dreamcandle said...

I just want to add something here:  The United States of America does not have an official language. "Taking an initiative?"  - There are many people in my school who struggle to learn English.  Yet, they are American.  Just as much as you, presumably, and me. Therefore, they can't "go home".  They are already home. They are equally intelligent - I know that for a fact.  They are trying extremely hard to learn English, which by the way happens to be one of the ha... (more »)

SunnyWinter said...
I totally agree with you, you could have said it nicer but it's common courtesey to us, if you come here legally then we protect you and we pay for you to learn our language which we shouldn't have to, (I'm not saying that it's totally unokay to come to america illegally becuase its a grey are)

schoolgal said...
Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:59 am
I think just learning 1 language is wrong. We should be able to speak whatever language we want. I think learning different types of langauges in America is not only good, but it helps us understand there culture a little better.

jomi973 replied...
yes. i think that people should learn english, but still keep their native language. learning new languages opens up so many door. plus, you can travel to many places too!

JohnnyTheSilverAngel said...
Feb. 3, 2011 at 11:22 am
Oh yeah one more thing,in the business the world,if you know how to speak other languages,then your morel likely to get hired.Just throwing that out there too.