Learn Our Language

This is a headline story right here! It has to be one of the top issues in the country today. I am referring to the "Press two for Spanish" issue. Why is this even an option? If someone wants to become an American badly enough, they should take the initiative to learn the language that is spoken here: English. I mean, does the government not know that by allowing a language barrier to exist inside our country, they are potenially limiting the progression of the country. There should not be a need for any type of translator in our country. How can we be called the top country in the world if the citizens within it are not able to communicate freely? "Press two for Spanish" is also one of the most annoying statements that can be uttered over the phone. Spanish is not the only problem either. It is all the gibberish and nonsense that has to be endured before actually having the opportunity to speak to a customer service officer or telephone operator. I believe that Americans need to keep it simple. Diversity is grand, but when it pertains to the language, there is a problem. I have a simple solution that will unify our country and tear down the language barrier: Learn our language or go home!

EmoToboe said...
Mar. 30, 2011 at 5:07 pm:

Hm...I disagree...first of all, yes, English is one of the most difficult languages to learn...

Not to mention that I find other languages, such as Italian and Japanese to be interesting....beautiful even....

Nivnek said...
Mar. 24, 2011 at 9:29 pm:

This. Is. Terrible. You make it sound like people that come here DON'T want to learn English. The truth is, they do. But English isn't easy to learn; English is developing new slang everyday and it has the most words in it. My English class discussed the English language once and discovered it has about 10x as many words as Chinese, which has a large variety of words as is.

Also, learning English comes with risks(surprisingly). Learning English can make your native language fade. Why? ... (more »)

jomi973 replied...
Aug. 23, 2011 at 8:47 pm :

totally true! english is hard to learn.

I have almost lost my native language. I can understand it but I cannot speak it as well as before. Whenever I try, english comes out instead. it is so embarrassing! 

Dreamboat said...
Mar. 21, 2011 at 10:12 pm:
Is this not the land of oppertunity, don't  people from all over the world come to america to be part of something better? Why should immigrants have to learn our language if we are welcoming them with open arms. If you really dont want to have trouble communicating you should learn how to speak another language like Spanish, french or Manduran, two of which are taught in most public schools. Por favor aprendes una orta idioma. 

wtt777 replied...
Apr. 7, 2011 at 9:22 am :
You have no clue what your talking about! If they move here and want to live here they need to adapt to the majority here we do not need to adapt to them.

ShontelleSymone replied...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 2:27 pm :
Keep in mind that the latino population is quickily becoming the majority.

Genya This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 13, 2011 at 2:30 pm :

Americans should learn British or go home...

Except that, America has so many ethnicites, that really, the world is our home.

Sorry, but English is a bit of an irrational language, and very hard to learn. Some people don't have the time or money to learn it, nor is returning back to their home country (because of war or genocide) an option.

Maybe you should consider that before assuming every Spanish or alternative language speaker is just coming here to make things more ... (more »)

Dreamboat replied...
Nov. 13, 2011 at 2:40 pm :

Yes I very much agree, I see nothing wrong with people learning english but you can not ask someone to give up their culture just to escape persicucion.

Dreamboat replied...
Nov. 13, 2011 at 2:44 pm :

Oh alos wtt777 I do know what I am talking about. So please dont insult me.

Dreamcandle said...
Mar. 3, 2011 at 8:29 pm:

I just want to add something here:  The United States of America does not have an official language. "Taking an initiative?"  - There are many people in my school who struggle to learn English.  Yet, they are American.  Just as much as you, presumably, and me. Therefore, they can't "go home".  They are already home. They are equally intelligent - I know that for a fact.  They are trying extremely hard to learn English, which by the way happens to be one of the ha... (more »)

SunnyWinter said...
Feb. 21, 2011 at 8:04 pm:
I totally agree with you, you could have said it nicer but it's common courtesey to us, if you come here legally then we protect you and we pay for you to learn our language which we shouldn't have to, (I'm not saying that it's totally unokay to come to america illegally becuase its a grey are)

schoolgal said...
Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:59 am:
I think just learning 1 language is wrong. We should be able to speak whatever language we want. I think learning different types of langauges in America is not only good, but it helps us understand there culture a little better.

jomi973 replied...
Aug. 23, 2011 at 8:49 pm :
yes. i think that people should learn english, but still keep their native language. learning new languages opens up so many door. plus, you can travel to many places too!

JohnnyTheSilverAngel said...
Feb. 3, 2011 at 11:22 am:
Oh yeah one more thing,in the business the world,if you know how to speak other languages,then your morel likely to get hired.Just throwing that out there too.

JohnnyTheSilverAngel said...
Feb. 3, 2011 at 11:17 am:
Okay first of all,you could have said this in a nicer tone.I mean,your saying like people who don't know English are a problem...which they aren't.Also,the "Press 2 for Spanish",I mean,come on now,just press 1 and get over it!it's not like 2 is the only option you have here.Also,I'm bilingual.I know both Spanish and English.I learned English the hard way by reading and speaking.It is hard.Also,not talking English isn't going to stop America from rising.We the people who know English are the ones... (more »)

GamerGirl said...

omg THANK YOU!

at my school we have used half our money to help kids who only know spanish get more help from spanish teachers, not to help them in engilish, but TEACH THEM IN SPANISH! and at my school there allowed to just speak spanish. and i researched that btw. but i am so with you learn our language or go home! i agree its a touchy subject but i am SO fed up with all the people who come to AMERICA and dont and wont learn ENGLISH! It really makes me so p.oed so yeah.

Hawthorn replied...
Feb. 21, 2011 at 5:19 pm :
I went to germany but didn't want to learn german. Then again it was only for six months and I didn't really have a choice.

Freedom_Cow said...

This is a touchy subject, I do have to say. There are many ways to go about living in a multi-lingual world. One of the ways is to stay seated in the English language, or branch out. I encourage the learning of different languages. 

Yes, having a language barrier is a difficult thing to have to live though. Maintaining it weakens the structure of society. (Telling non-English speaking immigrants to learn our language in English might not work as well).

Instead... (more »)

penguin35 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 24, 2010 at 6:33 am:
I feel like this is an article that lots of people will hate, and they have a right to. But I like it this!!! I agree that it is annoying when people think they can live here and never learn English. I understand you are not going to take five years of English class before immigrating here, but do not expect us to cater to your foreign language. I am going to Italy in a few months, and I am watching tons of Italian-learning videos on YouTube. I don't want people to be annoyed with me because I d... (more »)

penguin35 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 24, 2010 at 6:40 am :
Am I only person who agrees with this article? I have to say to the author of this article that, although I agree with you, this could have been written in a nicer tone. I am sympathetic to people who try to learn English. It is hard, but not impossible. You can still speak your own language. All languages are good. This article is not saying that English is a superior language; it is just the language we speak here in America! Telling immigrants to learn English is not taking away their rights;... (more »)