Learn Our Language

This is a headline story right here! It has to be one of the top issues in the country today. I am referring to the "Press two for Spanish" issue. Why is this even an option? If someone wants to become an American badly enough, they should take the initiative to learn the language that is spoken here: English. I mean, does the government not know that by allowing a language barrier to exist inside our country, they are potenially limiting the progression of the country. There should not be a need for any type of translator in our country. How can we be called the top country in the world if the citizens within it are not able to communicate freely? "Press two for Spanish" is also one of the most annoying statements that can be uttered over the phone. Spanish is not the only problem either. It is all the gibberish and nonsense that has to be endured before actually having the opportunity to speak to a customer service officer or telephone operator. I believe that Americans need to keep it simple. Diversity is grand, but when it pertains to the language, there is a problem. I have a simple solution that will unify our country and tear down the language barrier: Learn our language or go home!

ShontelleSymone said...
Another question for you. Why is  it that you don't have such a problem with whites coming to America and speaking their native language? It is so racist that people would just point the finger of Latinos who are trying to better themselves by coming to America. They have kids and families. You don't know their financial situation so "going home" is not an option for these poor people. I (as a part mexican girl) am offended by this article.

caleb18 replied...
Aug. 8, 2011 at 9:57 pm :
OK this is completly stupid. You are saying that it is racist. Are you kidding me? English is the official language of the United States of America and the fact that you mentioned the Cherokee nation is absolutley illogical since even the Cherokee did not have a completely unified language and they were not the only people that were here before the English. Now if one of their languages was the official language I would understand but it is not the case english is. Now if you want to get into th... (more »)

bombthrower replied...
Aug. 12, 2011 at 2:24 pm :
what about germans should german immigrants learn english or go home. no free assosiation, most countries have at least 4 official languages, england has 20, welsh (sorry don't know the actual name) irish gaelic, gualish, indian, pakistani, arabic, and every other one from what was once there empire (which was the most of the world, the sun never set on its greed, racism, and brutality. 

HeartBreaker2010 replied...
Sept. 13, 2011 at 10:51 am :
come on im part mexican and german and i understand both its not racist, it's common since, if you don't understand then go back to school. sorry but its true:)

bombthrower replied...
Sept. 19, 2011 at 8:44 pm :
no group has the right to force its launguage on anyone, not speaking english doesn't hurt anyone, so i can't stop it, "your right to swing your fist stops at the tip of my nose."

ShontelleSymone replied...
Sept. 29, 2011 at 9:56 am :
Actually, You are wrong. The Cherokee people DO still have a languag that we still speak. We are one of the few tribes left that still have a thriving language. Sorry for the late comment, I've been really busy recently.

ShontelleSymone replied...
Sept. 29, 2011 at 9:58 am :
And did you think I just ment the Cherokee? NO. I used Cherokee as an examply because I am part Cherokee.

ShontelleSymone said...
With all this said, when are you going to learn Cherokee? You know, the first people here? What makes English so great? Actually, you don't even speak proper queen's english. So when you say learn our languange or go home,I and well within my rights as a cherokee girl to say learn OUR language or go home.

ohmakemeover This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 3:35 pm:
The good thing about America is that we don't force anyone to do anything here.  We don't force religion, or politics, and we don't force culture.  Plenty of people in America only speak a foreign language and they get along fine because they have others to relate to.  If they feel like they need to learn English to get by, then that is their prerogative.  Also, shame on you for calling other languages gibberish.  That is close-minded and immature and I suggest you check... (more »)

bombthrower replied...
Aug. 12, 2011 at 2:26 pm :

except pay taxes to fund wars genocide and oppression

obey laws most of which are tardy

and in the past murder (the draft, war doesn't change any thing, its murder if you kill someone on purpose)

ohmakemeover This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 12, 2011 at 4:26 pm :
I didn't understand a word you just said.  And yes, we have to pay taxes, but that is also one of the biggest political debates in America of all time.  It doesn't go smoothly.  But other than that, I didn't get any of what you typed.

bombthrower replied...
Aug. 14, 2011 at 10:28 am :

taxes are stalnist, they assume the gov owns your wealth.

you have to obey laws 

and follow agreements that you were not a part of if you did not take part in a desicion you are not bound by it. i did not agree to pay taxes so why do i have to.

and the draft turning kids into murders

anonymous said...
Jun. 13, 2011 at 4:12 pm:
I completely agree with you! I don't get why we Americans have to learn Spanish (not to mention in school), and they don't have to learn English. Yes, I know they have 'English as a Second Language' classes, but it's not an elective class. This should be changed!

bombthrower replied...
Aug. 12, 2011 at 2:28 pm :

america has no language, there is no law make english the official language, we use english because most of us speak it, if that changed the new language would be the norm.

besides we should learn foreign languages, isolationism caused the depression and the holocaust 

NarniaRiddle said...
"Now, I agree that immigrants should learn English. But...instead of worrying about whether immigrants can learn English — they’ll learn English — you need to make sure your child can speak Spanish...it’s embarrassing when Europeans come over here, they all speak English, they speak French, they speak German. And then we go over to Europe, and all we can say [is], 'Merci beaucoup.' " -Barack Obama

dDawgg77 said...
youre stupid and why would you even be ignorant like that??? like seriously.

wtt777 said...
Apr. 7, 2011 at 9:19 am:
I love the article you wrote. You are absoulutly correct on what you siad. They should learn our language if they want to be citezens of this country. Even if I moved moved to another country my first priority would be to learn that language. You are not ignorent, dont listen to anyone who tells yopu that.

AnnaBaldwin replied...
Apr. 26, 2011 at 3:17 pm :
A human being, a child especially, has the capability to learn a dozens of languages, perhaps not fluently but that's besides the point. It takes time and focus, whether one is willing to take the time is the question. If someone wants to move to another country so bad, why not take the time to learn the language?

munizi said...
This is a very ignorant article. I wish I could send you to a foreign country and expect you to learn another language. Then maybe you would change your mind. Or maybe you would stay ignorant.

midnightsilence replied...
Apr. 16, 2011 at 5:13 pm :
I agree that it's ignorant to expect an individual to disown their culture just to be accepted as a US citizen.  English is difficult to learn, and their is true beauty in diverse and foreign languages. The USA is said to be a cultural mixing pot, and to say "They" should learn our language is to isolate those with hispanic background who live in the US (and may even be fluent in English) which is to put up a barrier even more compelling than the language barrier.  "They... (more »)

bombthrower replied...
Aug. 14, 2011 at 10:29 am :
what we are based on cultural freedom.