Learn Our Language

This is a headline story right here! It has to be one of the top issues in the country today. I am referring to the "Press two for Spanish" issue. Why is this even an option? If someone wants to become an American badly enough, they should take the initiative to learn the language that is spoken here: English. I mean, does the government not know that by allowing a language barrier to exist inside our country, they are potenially limiting the progression of the country. There should not be a need for any type of translator in our country. How can we be called the top country in the world if the citizens within it are not able to communicate freely? "Press two for Spanish" is also one of the most annoying statements that can be uttered over the phone. Spanish is not the only problem either. It is all the gibberish and nonsense that has to be endured before actually having the opportunity to speak to a customer service officer or telephone operator. I believe that Americans need to keep it simple. Diversity is grand, but when it pertains to the language, there is a problem. I have a simple solution that will unify our country and tear down the language barrier: Learn our language or go home!

ZeenatRogate said...
Jan. 13, 2012 at 7:10 am:
I think we should still leave the option for translators in america because we ARE a diverse country, but I understand that any working American should take it upon themselves to attept to learn english.

teenink987654321 said...
Jan. 11, 2012 at 7:26 am:
Spanish is the 2nd most spoken language in the world. Imagine how many people would be upset and happy. People can not just give up their language. How would you feel if you had to give up english?

bergKnayR said...
Jan. 11, 2012 at 7:26 am:
The point is valid, however, our country is based on the cultures of other countries. This is what makes America, America! All of the food, architecture, ideas, inovations; all come from the backrounds of the cultural diverse population of people. English is certainly the most spoken lauguage but is not the most important to many types of people.

Samru said...
Jan. 11, 2012 at 7:22 am:
It's true that it would make it counvienient for us but think about all the people who would be inconvienienced by this

surya1v said...
Jan. 11, 2012 at 7:21 am:
I agree with galfam and FIDDLESTIXS becuase in umerica we can speak anything FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOM. You should not be so atrocious and insidious in your poor ignorant beliefs

galfam said...
Jan. 11, 2012 at 7:12 am:
I agree with Fiddlestixs, it is extremely ignorant to think that your race and yours only is important. Not everyone deserves to bow to one specific race, as this world is not a totalitarian one.

FIDDLESTIXS said...
Jan. 11, 2012 at 7:08 am:
Thats very iggnorant. You cant make people give up their native language. ITs their religion. It gos against the firstb amendment.

Appleshrrom said...
Oct. 27, 2011 at 11:09 am:
Wow this smacks of racism. Unintentional racism, I'm sure, but racism none the less. Learn English or go home? No. That is completely wrong. People come to the US because it's a beacon of opprotunity that their home country is not. English is one of the hardest languages to learn, and I do think people who come here have a basic knowledge of Engligh (enough to get around and drive and such but may not be able to hold a conversation in English. This is a really ignorant sentiment and I wish it wo... (more »)

Jenky23 replied...
Nov. 13, 2011 at 8:38 pm :
"How bout you learns spanish?" Why does that make sense? The only way that could be a counter argument would be if he were to go to mexico! If you are in America, where mainstream society runs on the English language, then only knowing English is all you need to get by.

HeartBreaker2010 said...
Sept. 13, 2011 at 10:50 am:
come on im part mexican and german and i understand both its not racist, it's common since, if you don't understand then go back to school. sorry but its true:)

HeartBreaker2010 said...
Sept. 13, 2011 at 10:46 am:
if you move to a new country with a different language, you have to learn it, you mexican people don't want to learn English, then just leave and go back to where ever you came from because this is my U.S. so you better learn the English plz.

dancegirl13 replied...
Mar. 28, 2012 at 3:59 pm :
Um, sorry, but no, this is NOT your U.S. This is the U.S. of millions of people from all different cultures and backgrounds who speak their own language. Seriously - it is not that hard to listen to the phone operator say, "Press two for Spanish." It isn't gonna kill us, but it is going to help ethnic people who aren't fluent in English but are trying to make a living here.

brittany4jp said...
Sept. 13, 2011 at 8:53 am:
If you're going to move to a country, learn the dominant  language. It is as simple as that, and it's not racist to say so, as it applies to anyone who moves here. It just seems to be more of an issue with Spanish speaking peoples because a good amount of them will not learn English, there aren't many Germans going around the U.S. with no understanding of English. I don't go to somewhere, like Italy, and say "I'm here, now you all get to learn my language, because that's just... (more »)

Katie1234 said...

One thing: English isn't the offical language of the states.

I agree with you completely, but without English being our official language.... 

It stinks. We're now expected to learn spanish among othe languages to get jobs. A lot of schools require a year of foriegn language. Learning a language should be optional.

dancegirl13 replied...
Mar. 28, 2012 at 4:01 pm :
Maybe learning a language should be optional, but it isn't optional for foreign immigrants if we don't provide them with resources.

Katie1234 replied...
Mar. 28, 2012 at 6:46 pm :
While I agree that they cannot be blamed for not having the resources, there are plenty of ways for people to learn a new language. Should we as American's enable them by forcing people to take a foriegn language or give them a steady push by allowing foriegners to learn the language that is dominant in our country?

jomi973 said...

I do understand what you mean. If you are going to move to another country, you should learn the language of that country. That is true.

You have to look on both sides though. English is my second language and it can be a difficult language to learn. There are so many rules and some things just do not make sense. I now speak English fluently because I learned it at a young age. For older people learning a language is challenging. Even if they learn it, they can still be confused a... (more »)

ambnyc This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

While I am not against the learning of other languages at all (I love language study!), and while English is not America's official language, I believe it should be America's official language.

And that if somebody wants to immigrate here, they should have to learn English. It's merely practical, because you're not going to get very far in this country without a good grasp on English anyways, which is what most of our people speak.

Then again, this is just my opini... (more »)

bombthrower said...

americans can only speak english and barely no our own history let alone world

europians can speak at least 3 and no american, political, world and there own

bombthrower said...
america has no official language, plus what about visters. english is the most common language but it is not legally official