Learn Our Language

This is a headline story right here! It has to be one of the top issues in the country today. I am referring to the "Press two for Spanish" issue. Why is this even an option? If someone wants to become an American badly enough, they should take the initiative to learn the language that is spoken here: English. I mean, does the government not know that by allowing a language barrier to exist inside our country, they are potenially limiting the progression of the country. There should not be a need for any type of translator in our country. How can we be called the top country in the world if the citizens within it are not able to communicate freely? "Press two for Spanish" is also one of the most annoying statements that can be uttered over the phone. Spanish is not the only problem either. It is all the gibberish and nonsense that has to be endured before actually having the opportunity to speak to a customer service officer or telephone operator. I believe that Americans need to keep it simple. Diversity is grand, but when it pertains to the language, there is a problem. I have a simple solution that will unify our country and tear down the language barrier: Learn our language or go home!

Kiersten H. said...
Jan. 13, 2012 at 7:22 am
THIS ISSUE MAKES ME SO ANGRY!!!!!!!!! IF PEOPLE ARE GOING TO COME TO OUR COUNTRY THEY SHOULD LEARN OUR LANGUAGE!!!!! AND HAVING TO PRESS 2 FOR SPANISH? THAT SHOULD NO BE AN OPTION, THEY NEED TO LEARN ENGLISH!!! AND THE ILLEAGAL IMMIGRANTS THAT ARE TAKING ALL 0OF OUR TAX MONEY NEED TO GET OUT OF THIS COUNTRY AND GO BACKTO WHERE THEY CAME FROM!!!!!!!! Sorry for my anger but this is a very important issue to me.

UR MOM replied...
Jan. 13, 2012 at 7:27 am
UR MOM IS RACIST

Kiersten H. replied...
what are you talking about noah?

dancegirl13 replied...
This is so ignorant of you to say. What if you were put in this position? What if you were a mother trying to support your family, so you moved to Mexico to find work, and there were no resources an English-speaking person. What if you were so busy working and taking care of your kids that you never had a chance to learn the language? How would you feel then?

AriShine This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

Kiersten H.,

Have you thought of the fact that some people do not want to come to this country? That people have been forced to come here because of one reason or another? Other countries speak multiple languages. The U.S. should welcome and support other languages.

TheFlyingtaccoMan said...
Jan. 13, 2012 at 7:16 am
I think you are totally wrong. English shouldn't be the only language people know. We should all have the opportunity to learn whatever language we want!

ZeenatRogate said...
Jan. 13, 2012 at 7:10 am
I think we should still leave the option for translators in america because we ARE a diverse country, but I understand that any working American should take it upon themselves to attept to learn english.

teenink987654321 said...
Jan. 11, 2012 at 7:26 am
Spanish is the 2nd most spoken language in the world. Imagine how many people would be upset and happy. People can not just give up their language. How would you feel if you had to give up english?

bergKnayR said...
Jan. 11, 2012 at 7:26 am
The point is valid, however, our country is based on the cultures of other countries. This is what makes America, America! All of the food, architecture, ideas, inovations; all come from the backrounds of the cultural diverse population of people. English is certainly the most spoken lauguage but is not the most important to many types of people.

Samru said...
Jan. 11, 2012 at 7:22 am
It's true that it would make it counvienient for us but think about all the people who would be inconvienienced by this

surya1v said...
Jan. 11, 2012 at 7:21 am
I agree with galfam and FIDDLESTIXS becuase in umerica we can speak anything FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOM. You should not be so atrocious and insidious in your poor ignorant beliefs

galfam said...
Jan. 11, 2012 at 7:12 am
I agree with Fiddlestixs, it is extremely ignorant to think that your race and yours only is important. Not everyone deserves to bow to one specific race, as this world is not a totalitarian one.

FIDDLESTIXS said...
Jan. 11, 2012 at 7:08 am
Thats very iggnorant. You cant make people give up their native language. ITs their religion. It gos against the firstb amendment.

Appleshrrom said...
Oct. 27, 2011 at 11:09 am
Wow this smacks of racism. Unintentional racism, I'm sure, but racism none the less. Learn English or go home? No. That is completely wrong. People come to the US because it's a beacon of opprotunity that their home country is not. English is one of the hardest languages to learn, and I do think people who come here have a basic knowledge of Engligh (enough to get around and drive and such but may not be able to hold a conversation in English. This is a really ignorant sentiment and I wish it wo... (more »)

Jenky23 replied...
"How bout you learns spanish?" Why does that make sense? The only way that could be a counter argument would be if he were to go to mexico! If you are in America, where mainstream society runs on the English language, then only knowing English is all you need to get by.

HeartBreaker2010 said...
Sept. 13, 2011 at 10:50 am
come on im part mexican and german and i understand both its not racist, it's common since, if you don't understand then go back to school. sorry but its true:)

HeartBreaker2010 said...
Sept. 13, 2011 at 10:46 am
if you move to a new country with a different language, you have to learn it, you mexican people don't want to learn English, then just leave and go back to where ever you came from because this is my U.S. so you better learn the English plz.

dancegirl13 replied...
Um, sorry, but no, this is NOT your U.S. This is the U.S. of millions of people from all different cultures and backgrounds who speak their own language. Seriously - it is not that hard to listen to the phone operator say, "Press two for Spanish." It isn't gonna kill us, but it is going to help ethnic people who aren't fluent in English but are trying to make a living here.

brittany4jp said...
Sept. 13, 2011 at 8:53 am
If you're going to move to a country, learn the dominant  language. It is as simple as that, and it's not racist to say so, as it applies to anyone who moves here. It just seems to be more of an issue with Spanish speaking peoples because a good amount of them will not learn English, there aren't many Germans going around the U.S. with no understanding of English. I don't go to somewhere, like Italy, and say "I'm here, now you all get to learn my language, because that's just... (more »)

Katie1234 said...

One thing: English isn't the offical language of the states.

I agree with you completely, but without English being our official language.... 

It stinks. We're now expected to learn spanish among othe languages to get jobs. A lot of schools require a year of foriegn language. Learning a language should be optional.

dancegirl13 replied...
Maybe learning a language should be optional, but it isn't optional for foreign immigrants if we don't provide them with resources.