Learn Our Language

This is a headline story right here! It has to be one of the top issues in the country today. I am referring to the "Press two for Spanish" issue. Why is this even an option? If someone wants to become an American badly enough, they should take the initiative to learn the language that is spoken here: English. I mean, does the government not know that by allowing a language barrier to exist inside our country, they are potenially limiting the progression of the country. There should not be a need for any type of translator in our country. How can we be called the top country in the world if the citizens within it are not able to communicate freely? "Press two for Spanish" is also one of the most annoying statements that can be uttered over the phone. Spanish is not the only problem either. It is all the gibberish and nonsense that has to be endured before actually having the opportunity to speak to a customer service officer or telephone operator. I believe that Americans need to keep it simple. Diversity is grand, but when it pertains to the language, there is a problem. I have a simple solution that will unify our country and tear down the language barrier: Learn our language or go home!

anon said...
Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:11 pm:

I agree that if you voluntarily come to a country you should make the effort to learn its language! Not doing so just makes you seem lazy and ignorant.

And although this article was mostly talking about the increasing number of Hispanics coming to America who have not learned the language, people also need to realzie that us Americans are just as much at fault. Countries all around the world have signs posted both in the native language and in English because of the fact that ma... (more »)

AriShineThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 19, 2012 at 3:15 pm:
Recently, my class studied refugees and conflicts in other countries. There are thousands of people who come to the United States every year seeking refuge from the violence and/or persecution of their homeland. Imagine moving to a whole different culture that speaks a language that sounds like gibberish to YOU.  On top of that, these people have to deal with the closed-mindedness that is demonstrated in this article. It is fine to express your frustration, but really, have a heart. 

DaveC said...
Instead of thinking everyone should change to provide you with a miniscule amount of comfort you dont need, perhaps you should realize the world doesn't revolve around the U.S. Look around you and you may realize that we should change  and maybe learn a language or two, to comunicate with the world, not have it bend over backwards to please us

Lily said...

I think, in all honsty, that to this debate there really isn't a good answer. I know, that was so very helpful of me to say, but I sorta think both sides have a point. I mean, the main language of the U.S. is english, and in 2007 (I got this from the U.S. Census Bureau) 20% of people spoke a language at home other than english.

This does create a chasm between people, and every one speaking the same language would be just dandy.... (more »)

dragonfly95 said...
Apr. 1, 2012 at 11:33 am:
you are right it is annoying and isnt (in  my opinion) the first thing you should have to hear, spanish being the aternative option for those that do not speak english yet, or not enough to talk on the phone, would be preferable to most americans being that we speak english, but its not desroying our country, asylum for those immigrating from anywhere, not just spanish speaking countrys, should be able to get translation in my opinion, but they should have to press two on the phone for ther... (more »)

dancegirl13 said...
Mar. 28, 2012 at 3:46 pm:
I disagree. I understand what your point is when you talk about the issues that could arise with a language barrier, but just imagine that your only option was to move to France, and you didn't have the chance to learn the language before you moved. You arrive, and nothing is in English, and no one there has respect for you and your language. You're poor, and spend all your time working to support your family, like many immigrants do, so you learning the language isn't an option at the moment. H... (more »)

thelogicoflove said...
Feb. 28, 2012 at 2:30 pm:

I could not disagree with this article more.

Did you know that America doesn't actually have an official language? We are a nation of immigrants and diversity; over 300 different languages are spoken in the United States alone. 24 of which are spoken in all fifty states.

You ask why "Press two for Spanish" is even an option. That is because 12 percent of our citizens speak fluent Spanish, with that number rapidly growing. Over 45 million people speak fluent Spanish as a first or... (more »)

AriShineThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 19, 2012 at 3:18 pm :
I agree with you completely. The argument of this article has an extremely selfish tone that patronizes other cultures that should be embraced.

teachforNYC said...
Feb. 14, 2012 at 11:46 pm:
What frustrates me most about the comments to this article is that they are not even written in proper English. Defend English as our national language all you want... but maybe you should learn how to actually write in English before you force poor immigrants to do so themselves. Just a thought.

KatsKThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 4, 2012 at 5:58 pm:
I disagree. Say you moved to Hungary, and that was your only option. You'd want instructions in English, wouldn't you? This does sound ignorant, and very my-way-or-the-highway. As Atticus Finch says in To Kill A Mockingbird "if you can learn a simple trick, you'll get along a lot better with all kinds of folks. You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view- until you climb into his skin and walk around it" (Lee, 30). if you've forgotten, my main point is t... (more »)

bennyB said...
Well i have two things to say about this. You are right about immigrants learning the lenguage before comming here. It is not only spanish since america is a verry diverse country. Also you have to understand that some people come here to have a better life and do not have the opportunity to learn the lenguage, but you are still right.

Mtizzle said...
america was not just an english colony spain and the french and all other countries of europe came here and left a print on american society people should learn the most common spoken luanguage and if they dont so what its there choice america was founded for freedom they have the freedom to keep their language but if they wnat ot live here and speak their own language the chioce is theirs.

screename4 said...
Jan. 13, 2012 at 7:26 am:
People have the right to keep their culture. But that does not mean they can just come hear, and not make the effort to learn the language that almost all americans, even most of the people all over the world have learned and spoke! If american students learn other languages i school, then these people need to learn OUR LANGUAGE TOO!

Kiersten H. said...
Jan. 13, 2012 at 7:22 am:
THIS ISSUE MAKES ME SO ANGRY!!!!!!!!! IF PEOPLE ARE GOING TO COME TO OUR COUNTRY THEY SHOULD LEARN OUR LANGUAGE!!!!! AND HAVING TO PRESS 2 FOR SPANISH? THAT SHOULD NO BE AN OPTION, THEY NEED TO LEARN ENGLISH!!! AND THE ILLEAGAL IMMIGRANTS THAT ARE TAKING ALL 0OF OUR TAX MONEY NEED TO GET OUT OF THIS COUNTRY AND GO BACKTO WHERE THEY CAME FROM!!!!!!!! Sorry for my anger but this is a very important issue to me.

UR MOM replied...
Jan. 13, 2012 at 7:27 am :
UR MOM IS RACIST

Kiersten H. replied...
Jan. 13, 2012 at 5:33 pm :
what are you talking about noah?

dancegirl13 replied...
Mar. 28, 2012 at 3:52 pm :
This is so ignorant of you to say. What if you were put in this position? What if you were a mother trying to support your family, so you moved to Mexico to find work, and there were no resources an English-speaking person. What if you were so busy working and taking care of your kids that you never had a chance to learn the language? How would you feel then?

Jun. 19, 2012 at 3:22 pm :

Kiersten H.,

Have you thought of the fact that some people do not want to come to this country? That people have been forced to come here because of one reason or another? Other countries speak multiple languages. The U.S. should welcome and support other languages.

TheFlyingtaccoMan said...
Jan. 13, 2012 at 7:16 am:
I think you are totally wrong. English shouldn't be the only language people know. We should all have the opportunity to learn whatever language we want!

ZeenatRogate said...
Jan. 13, 2012 at 7:10 am:
I think we should still leave the option for translators in america because we ARE a diverse country, but I understand that any working American should take it upon themselves to attept to learn english.