Learn Our Language

By Dsmit BRONZE, Luna Pier, Michigan
Dsmit BRONZE, Luna Pier, Michigan

"God hath not given me a spirit of fear, but that of power, love, and of a sound mind."

This is a headline story right here! It has to be one of the top issues in the country today. I am referring to the "Press two for Spanish" issue. Why is this even an option? If someone wants to become an American badly enough, they should take the initiative to learn the language that is spoken here: English. I mean, does the government not know that by allowing a language barrier to exist inside our country, they are potenially limiting the progression of the country. There should not be a need for any type of translator in our country. How can we be called the top country in the world if the citizens within it are not able to communicate freely? "Press two for Spanish" is also one of the most annoying statements that can be uttered over the phone. Spanish is not the only problem either. It is all the gibberish and nonsense that has to be endured before actually having the opportunity to speak to a customer service officer or telephone operator. I believe that Americans need to keep it simple. Diversity is grand, but when it pertains to the language, there is a problem. I have a simple solution that will unify our country and tear down the language barrier: Learn our language or go home!

Emivi BRONZE said...
on Jan. 3 2013 at 2:27 pm
Emivi BRONZE, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them"-eeyore. winnie the pooh

I understand what you are saying but i don't really think that it is an issue. I mean how many times a day do you really not u derstand someone lse because they speak another langauge.

on Jan. 3 2013 at 2:26 pm
Phillies_Fan4Ever, Soccerville, Indiana

"I don't need easy, I just need possible" from Soul Surfer

This is true.  If you are an American citizen, you should be able to speak the language.  This article was funny and made me want to keep reading. 

TaylorG BRONZE said...
on Jan. 3 2013 at 2:26 pm
TaylorG BRONZE, Columbus, New Jersey
i agree with you. If people really want to live here then they should take the time to learn our language. If they don't then they can only communicate to the people that speak the same language as them, not the rest of our country

on Jan. 3 2013 at 2:25 pm
Delilah Confoy BRONZE, Wrightstown, New Jersey
I see your point, but most people won't be willing to just throw away their culture and language just to make it easier on Americans. If you were forced to move to another country and learn a completely new, foreign language, you probably wonuldn't be very happy.

on Jan. 3 2013 at 2:23 pm
Goalychik BRONZE, Smart, Hawaii
That is a great point! Many people come into our country thinking that they can just waltz in and make it....WRONG! They should take time to learn our language. They obviously came to America to be an American...LEARN OUR LANGUAGE!

on Jan. 3 2013 at 2:18 pm
Catherine2564 BRONZE, Chesterfield, New Jersey
I too believe that we should all learn how to speak English because only does it make it easier on foregins, it makes it easier on us.  For instance, when we call for technical help, we normally are given a person who has a foreign accent.  Not only is it frustrating, you can't get what you needed.

Lolzz said...
on Jan. 3 2013 at 2:16 pm
Lolzz, Columbus, New Jersey
I think that people that come to america should atleast get a chance to learn english. Even if that means you could have a little discomfort until they learn it. But I do admit english should still be the first language you hear when calling a company.

on Nov. 15 2012 at 12:45 am
samanthaaa BRONZE, Schaumburg, Illinois

"Hell is empty. All the devils are here." - William Shakespeare

Preach it :)

anomynous said...
on Oct. 24 2012 at 4:06 pm
English is a hard language to learn. In fact, russian is much easier and russian looks completely ailien. I'll admit my english is not perfect either and I live in the states.

on Aug. 12 2012 at 3:36 pm
hawleybassplayer BRONZE, Wayland, Massachusetts

"Who knows who you really are? A person is like a novel: Up to the very last page you don't know how it's going to end. Otherwise, there'd be no point in reading..."
-Zamyatin, We

A lot of the thoughts circulating throughout here are really inconsiderate. Learning a second language, especially as an adult, is extraordinarily hard, and English is one of the hardest languages to learn. For people immigrating to this country, most of whom do end up learning English to some degree, the measures we take to provide Spanish or other translations make the transition to living here possible. Think about how hard it must be to uproot yourself and move to a country where you can't understand the spoken language, and try to show some compassion. Also, in many parts of Europe, English translations are provided for almost everything imaginable. To not provide assistance to immigrants--or even just foreign tourists!--because it's "annoying" is extremely self-centered.

anon said...
on Jul. 31 2012 at 9:11 pm

I agree that if you voluntarily come to a country you should make the effort to learn its language! Not doing so just makes you seem lazy and ignorant.

And although this article was mostly talking about the increasing number of Hispanics coming to America who have not learned the language, people also need to realzie that us Americans are just as much at fault. Countries all around the world have signs posted both in the native language and in English because of the fact that many Americans did not make the effort to even learn simple phrases in that language.

AriShine GOLD said...
on Jun. 19 2012 at 3:22 pm
AriShine GOLD, Norcross, Georgia

"Whatever you are, be a good one." -Abraham Lincoln

Kiersten H.,

Have you thought of the fact that some people do not want to come to this country? That people have been forced to come here because of one reason or another? Other countries speak multiple languages. The U.S. should welcome and support other languages.

AriShine GOLD said...
on Jun. 19 2012 at 3:18 pm
AriShine GOLD, Norcross, Georgia

I agree with you completely. The argument of this article has an extremely selfish tone that patronizes other cultures that should be embraced.

AriShine GOLD said...
on Jun. 19 2012 at 3:15 pm
AriShine GOLD, Norcross, Georgia

Recently, my class studied refugees and conflicts in other countries. There are thousands of people who come to the United States every year seeking refuge from the violence and/or persecution of their homeland. Imagine moving to a whole different culture that speaks a language that sounds like gibberish to YOU.  On top of that, these people have to deal with the closed-mindedness that is demonstrated in this article. It is fine to express your frustration, but really, have a heart. 

DaveC said...
on Apr. 30 2012 at 7:15 pm
Instead of thinking everyone should change to provide you with a miniscule amount of comfort you dont need, perhaps you should realize the world doesn't revolve around the U.S. Look around you and you may realize that we should change  and maybe learn a language or two, to comunicate with the world, not have it bend over backwards to please us

Lily said...
on Apr. 5 2012 at 12:34 pm

I think, in all honsty, that to this debate there really isn't a good answer. I know, that was so very helpful of me to say, but I sorta think both sides have a point. I mean, the main language of the U.S. is english, and in 2007 (I got this from the U.S. Census Bureau) 20% of people spoke a language at home other than english.

This does create a chasm between people, and every one speaking the same language would be just dandy. It would allow for current non-english speaking people to have assess to opportunities not available them right now. It would most likely allow children to fit more at school and other places, if they can all speak the same language, and allow them to learn better, with a better grasp of the langauge.

But on the flip side, how much would it cost to first start a program big enought to get every non-english speaking person into it, and any whom don't wish to learn would either have to forced, which I find morbid propect, bribed, slightly better, or punished into it. None of which is all that pleasent sounding. Then, of course, there is also that we would loose a large amout of culture. Many phrases, sayings, and even words in America are derived from langauges other than English.

So, I guess what I'm getting at here, sorry 'bout the rant, is I think there really isn't a good choice. Between and rock and a hard place, is right about where this debate stands. Sorry again about my long winded rant, more or less like a dog chasing it's own tail.

on Apr. 1 2012 at 11:33 am
dragonfly95 SILVER, Argaon, Georgia

'' there is nothing to fear but fear its self''

you are right it is annoying and isnt (in  my opinion) the first thing you should have to hear, spanish being the aternative option for those that do not speak english yet, or not enough to talk on the phone, would be preferable to most americans being that we speak english, but its not desroying our country, asylum for those immigrating from anywhere, not just spanish speaking countrys, should be able to get translation in my opinion, but they should have to press two on the phone for there language, not everything, there should be ways for them to communicate when they cannot speak the laguage here :)

Katie1234 GOLD said...
on Mar. 28 2012 at 6:46 pm
Katie1234 GOLD, Velva, North Dakota

"When life becomes more than you can stand; fall to your knees"
"To be normal is to be boring."
"You cannot make men good by law."
"Christians believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God because He said so."
"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you."

While I agree that they cannot be blamed for not having the resources, there are plenty of ways for people to learn a new language. Should we as American's enable them by forcing people to take a foriegn language or give them a steady push by allowing foriegners to learn the language that is dominant in our country?

on Mar. 28 2012 at 4:01 pm
dancegirl13 BRONZE, Roslyn, Washington
Maybe learning a language should be optional, but it isn't optional for foreign immigrants if we don't provide them with resources.

on Mar. 28 2012 at 3:59 pm
dancegirl13 BRONZE, Roslyn, Washington
Um, sorry, but no, this is NOT your U.S. This is the U.S. of millions of people from all different cultures and backgrounds who speak their own language. Seriously - it is not that hard to listen to the phone operator say, "Press two for Spanish." It isn't gonna kill us, but it is going to help ethnic people who aren't fluent in English but are trying to make a living here.

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!