Learn Our Language

By Dsmit BRONZE, Luna Pier, Michigan
Dsmit BRONZE, Luna Pier, Michigan

"God hath not given me a spirit of fear, but that of power, love, and of a sound mind."

This is a headline story right here! It has to be one of the top issues in the country today. I am referring to the "Press two for Spanish" issue. Why is this even an option? If someone wants to become an American badly enough, they should take the initiative to learn the language that is spoken here: English. I mean, does the government not know that by allowing a language barrier to exist inside our country, they are potenially limiting the progression of the country. There should not be a need for any type of translator in our country. How can we be called the top country in the world if the citizens within it are not able to communicate freely? "Press two for Spanish" is also one of the most annoying statements that can be uttered over the phone. Spanish is not the only problem either. It is all the gibberish and nonsense that has to be endured before actually having the opportunity to speak to a customer service officer or telephone operator. I believe that Americans need to keep it simple. Diversity is grand, but when it pertains to the language, there is a problem. I have a simple solution that will unify our country and tear down the language barrier: Learn our language or go home!

on Feb. 13 at 6:30 pm
runandgo BRONZE, Havertown, Pennsylvania
This is... wow, super racist. There is no national language in America for a reason, my dude. We as a country do not value any set of knowledge above another. It's not limiting the country to encourage being multilingual; it's actually propelling us forward. Many of those Spanish-speaking people also speak English, putting them a step ahead of most English-only speakers in the US. Also, if you say "learn our language or go home," you're revealing your anti-immigrant sentiment. Not everyone who speaks Spanish is an immigrant. Linguistically, no language is "gibberish." It's just that you're too dismissive to give it the time of day and try to understand it. I'm sure the Native Americans thought English was gibberish when we arrived, yet we still forced them to learn it, even though it was technically "their country." You should take a long hard look at yourself and think about why you feel this way, because it doesn't have a logical backing. (And maybe check your grammar, too -- you don't have a perfect grasp on the language either.)

Sesinae BRONZE said...
on Jun. 27 2017 at 5:38 pm
Sesinae BRONZE, APO AE , Other
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"Sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of insane courage and I promise you something great will come of it."

How come when a person from a foreign country comes to America they, in your words, should learn english or go home, but when Americans travel to other countries, they assume and speak to the locals in english? I live in Germany and a lot of U.S. soldiers and their families live here, but many do not learn German. Through your ideology, I could then say if you're an American living in Germany you should learn German or go home. That is absurd.

on Apr. 5 2017 at 1:01 pm
XSakuya.OhtoriX, San Francisco, California

"Don't tell me what to do! This is my life to live, and I have to figure out why I'm here on my own terms!"

ok so.... I agree with thisguy223, Dude one thing you should understand about this country, and that is that diversity is a common thing in several parts of this country, some parts not as much, but this country should value its diversity and respect people of all races, even if they're different than you. I live in a city where diversity is everywhere, there's different neighborhoods with a lot different people of different color and social status, I myself am Chinese American, my neighbors are Irish, the childcare facility i work at is primarily African American, with kids and their families being other races. That is a perfect example of diversity, and I really love the fact that I get to know so many people of so many different cultures, who speak many languages

thisguy223 said...
on Oct. 19 2016 at 3:35 pm
thisguy223, Superior, Wisconsin
Maybe you should crack a book man. First of all, this country doesn't even have a real official language, English is just one of the most common. Second, this country is built up of people from all over the world, that's why we're such a diverse country. Most people do try to learn English, and that takes a long time, so in trying to learn the language and become a citizen, they don't always understand what people are saying when trying to help them. Boohoo, you have to occasionally listen to a sentence. I'm sure you'll get over it:)

on Jul. 17 2016 at 8:17 pm
sassy_scribe_777 BRONZE, Bellingham, Washington

Friends are God's way of apologizing to us for our families.

Exactly!! Besides that, a lot of people are refugees, and they don't have any means to learn the English. Plus, Spanish is the second most-spoken language in our country.

on Jan. 11 2016 at 12:36 pm
Meganinjaboy BRONZE, Tempe, Arizona
White English speaking people immigrated to America and said "Yo we need some English up in here" to people called "NATIVE AMERICANS" who DID NOT know English. English in IS NOT the "official language" bud so stop

on Jan. 8 2016 at 11:57 am
Meganinjaboy BRONZE, Tempe, Arizona
THANK YOU MY FRIEND

on Nov. 6 2015 at 1:07 pm
jessicamarshall BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
I agree with this statement, “If someone wants to become an American badly enough, they should take the initiative to learn the language that is spoken here: English.” It should be mandatory for everyone in America to speak English; however, no one can stop people from coming into the country and speaking Spanish. It is a good thing Spanish speaking people are in America because it helps make us a melting pot.

AndreB BRONZE said...
on Nov. 4 2015 at 1:00 pm
AndreB BRONZE, Sunshine, Louisiana
I agree with the opinion that people should learn English if they want to live in America. You took the words out of my mouth when you said, “If someone wants to become an American badly enough, they should take the initiative to learn the language that is spoken here: English.” This is a great argument and makes a very good point in my opinion.

chskx said...
on Nov. 10 2014 at 9:32 pm
do people not realize that there is no "our language" in terms of this country?

Chloe123 said...
on Jul. 16 2014 at 7:40 pm
This is simply disgusting. Do you understand how boring, narrow-minded and oppressive our country would be if we didn't support diversity? Aside from the fact that cultural diversity is just clearly better than a country full of white, English-speaking Americans, do you understand the concept of globalization? We need to be culturally diverse to continue to be a superpower economically and politically. It's as simple as that. And this claim that if they want to come to our country they should have the decency to learn English... do you understand what their lives are like before they came to America? The desire to feed one's children and escape the dangers of drug-trafficking are occasionally more compelling than the desire to provide the courtesy of learning English before you come to America so they don't have to assign a telephone button to press for you if you speak Spanish. The insensitivity and triviality of this article is outstanding. And depressing.

on May. 26 2014 at 6:59 pm
JesusandHisLawyers SILVER, Austin, Texas

"who the fuck has a favorite personal quote what does that even mean" - me, just now.

Gotta love the people that literally can't comprehend that no, the US is NOT a nation of white English speakers, NO you can't force immigrants to speak English. When you really get down to it, what you SHOULD be complaining about is how white people refuse to use the Native American languages, since this person is so against immigrants. 

on Mar. 10 2014 at 10:30 pm
You agree ? Well, to be honest I am very glad. We all have our opinions and I do agree with you. Does it not seem odd for people to go to germany and not talk germen ? Possibly go to France with out knowing French? Spain with kmowing Spanish? Seems to me you could visit these places with out knowing the language. Am i correct, possibly ? Although you know the difference between many nations and America ? America was found by IMIGRANTS. People all over the world came to make there life better. To have a chance to be treated equal. The people i do feel sorry is the native americans we took over there land. Made them talk English. Now like you and me and 99.9999 Americans are imigrants. We all have a different cultrue differnt traditions. But at the end were humman. At the end its good we know more languages and culture about other people. Its were we come from. our parents gave us the american life style. Enough to eat every day. But what would happen if you were starving. Knowing your mom works day and night and still noo food no nothing you would try to get out of the country and find some where safe and where you can be appected. Wouldnt you ? To make sure your kinds had a better future. Our grand paretns. great grand paretns great great grandparernts went thew some hard life style for you to have the life you have now. Just know there so many people that have a hard life and come to americs for a chance for a better life. we all might to speek english. Bur know were in america and you know  its a blessing

Batmar BRONZE said...
on Jan. 31 2014 at 2:37 pm
Batmar BRONZE, Burlington, New Jersey

"Danger is real but, fear is choice"

I agree but I dont really agree. they should be allowed to come over here but yes, they should know our home language. 

on Jan. 6 2014 at 5:59 pm
Ms.Alice BRONZE, Barrie, Other

Resistance- because if we fight we might lose; but if we don't fight we've already lost.

You do realise that English isn't even Americas official language? Also most of the people living in America are moving there because the conditions in their own country aren't livable? Not to mention that English is one of the hardest languages to learn, and most of these people are having to learn in from scratch, it isn't as simple as just going to take a class. Plus America is made mostly of imigrants, but you know "learn the language or go home" right?

on Jan. 6 2014 at 5:55 pm
Ms.Alice BRONZE, Barrie, Other

Not to mention that America is largely made of imigrants. 

on Jan. 6 2014 at 5:52 pm
Ms.Alice BRONZE, Barrie, Other

First of all i don't really find this a comprehensive article as much as it is just a rant fueled by a deep frustration of costumer service operators. Second of all you have to realise that a lot of the poeple going to America are doing it because the conditions in their own country are horrible. I think that they're a little more concerned about their families safety then learning the language. Although it is important to an extent, the statment "learn our language or go home" is not only ignorant but just downwright nasty. 

Luifie said...
on Jan. 4 2014 at 1:58 am
Luifie, Caucasian/White, Washington

Love is Louder than the Pressure to be Perfect ~ Demi Lovato.

Although I do agree with you that learning the english language should be important if a person is considering moving or visiting the U.S., I definitely do not agree with your closing statement about "going home" if you do not learn the english language. I do not wish to be rude or negative, but have you considered that even if some people do learn the english language but are hispanic, that they maybe they feel more comfortable speaking to somebody over the phone in their native language? Also, being a translator/intreprator for any language is a great job because of the number of immigrants that are in this country who's native language is not english?  I believe that people who come to the U.S. speaking a lanuge other an english such as japanese, russian, or somali bring diversity to our country. They beautify this country with their culture and language, and I feel that is important to a country that wants to be called "the land of the free." Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, including you. I am not bad mouthing, but simply expressing my opinion about this topic.

Chans247 GOLD said...
on Oct. 17 2013 at 10:11 pm
Chans247 GOLD, Rosthern, Other

"You could say this advice is priceless. Now...if you trust in yourself...believe in your dreams...and follow your star...you'll still get beaten by people who spend their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy." ~Discworld

DID you even read this again? I thought that America was supposed to take "your tired, your poor. Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" What happened to that! If language is a clause in that statement, then America is going downhill more than I thought.

on Oct. 17 2013 at 3:36 pm
JustinNelson BRONZE, Woodbury, Minnesota

Human life without knowledge of history is nothing other than a perpetual childhood, nay, a permanent obscurity and darkness.

Very interesting opinion, I certainly agree. Immigrants are essentially separate from the rest of society by all these government barriers, but hey obama says we gotta drone Syria so don't worry about it!

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!