Learn Our Language

This is a headline story right here! It has to be one of the top issues in the country today. I am referring to the "Press two for Spanish" issue. Why is this even an option? If someone wants to become an American badly enough, they should take the initiative to learn the language that is spoken here: English. I mean, does the government not know that by allowing a language barrier to exist inside our country, they are potenially limiting the progression of the country. There should not be a need for any type of translator in our country. How can we be called the top country in the world if the citizens within it are not able to communicate freely? "Press two for Spanish" is also one of the most annoying statements that can be uttered over the phone. Spanish is not the only problem either. It is all the gibberish and nonsense that has to be endured before actually having the opportunity to speak to a customer service officer or telephone operator. I believe that Americans need to keep it simple. Diversity is grand, but when it pertains to the language, there is a problem. I have a simple solution that will unify our country and tear down the language barrier: Learn our language or go home!

Chloe123 said...
yesterday at 7:40 pm:
This is simply disgusting. Do you understand how boring, narrow-minded and oppressive our country would be if we didn't support diversity? Aside from the fact that cultural diversity is just clearly better than a country full of white, English-speaking Americans, do you understand the concept of globalization? We need to be culturally diverse to continue to be a superpower economically and politically. It's as simple as that. And this claim that if they want to come to our country they s... (more »)

JesusandHisLawyersThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 26 at 6:59 pm:
Gotta love the people that literally can't comprehend that no, the US is NOT a nation of white English speakers, NO you can't force immigrants to speak English. When you really get down to it, what you SHOULD be complaining about is how white people refuse to use the Native American languages, since this person is so against immigrants. 

Batmar said...
Jan. 31 at 2:37 pm:
I agree but I dont really agree. they should be allowed to come over here but yes, they should know our home language. 

Ms.Alice said...
Jan. 6 at 5:52 pm:
First of all i don't really find this a comprehensive article as much as it is just a rant fueled by a deep frustration of costumer service operators. Second of all you have to realise that a lot of the poeple going to America are doing it because the conditions in their own country are horrible. I think that they're a little more concerned about their families safety then learning the language. Although it is important to an extent, the statment "learn our language or go home"... (more »)

Ms.Alice replied...
Jan. 6 at 5:55 pm :
Not to mention that America is largely made of imigrants. 

GeekyxChick said...
Jan. 4 at 1:58 am:
Although I do agree with you that learning the english language should be important if a person is considering moving or visiting the U.S., I definitely do not agree with your closing statement about "going home" if you do not learn the english language. I do not wish to be rude or negative, but have you considered that even if some people do learn the english language but are hispanic, that they maybe they feel more comfortable speaking to somebody over the phone in their native langu... (more »)

Chans247 said...
DID you even read this again? I thought that America was supposed to take "your tired, your poor. Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" What happened to that! If language is a clause in that statement, then America is going downhill more than I thought.

JustinNelson said...
Very interesting opinion, I certainly agree. Immigrants are essentially separate from the rest of society by all these government barriers, but hey obama says we gotta drone Syria so don't worry about it!

blythebaird said...
Sept. 20, 2013 at 7:40 am:
Are you actually being serious right now? Did you even read this at all before you submitted it?

stellamaareThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:57 am:
Here too live many natons, but i understand them in 85% of cases. I think that people have right to speak with accent, or in free time speaking on their native language.

agabor1022 said...
Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:08 pm:
America is a place for people with a dream to go. People that are in such extreme forms of poverity come here because they believe that they will have a better life in America. I'm proud that they think that of our country. And I'm more than happy to open our doors to those less fortunate. One more thing, I'm a Democrat. Are you a Republican?

I_Bleed_Acrylic_Paint said...
May 22, 2013 at 12:26 am:
Yes, because people immigrating to escape poverty, violence, instability, and/or war have time to learn English from scratch. Honestly. Not everyone has the opportunity to learn before immigrating. The lucky, yes, but not enough people.

plathfanaticThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 18, 2013 at 8:04 pm:
You're kidding me, right? First of all, there is no official language here in the U.S. People have the right to speak in any lingua franca they desire. Learning a new language isnt easy either. And for those of you who are commenting about how they also hate when they call customer service and the person on the other end of the call has a "foreign accent".. its called outsourcing. American companies transfer certain jobs to other countries in orde... (more »)

d124816d said...
English is not the official language of America and the entire southwest used to be Mexico. So yes, to press two for Spanish.

Posh101 said...
Divirsity is great in all forms. You are expecting to much of people who left their home countries-some to escape prejudice like the kind your piece is about.

AJH99 said...
Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:26 am:
I agree completely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

keepyourmindopean replied...
Mar. 10 at 10:30 pm :
You agree ? Well, to be honest I am very glad. We all have our opinions and I do agree with you. Does it not seem odd for people to go to germany and not talk germen ? Possibly go to France with out knowing French? Spain with kmowing Spanish? Seems to me you could visit these places with out knowing the language. Am i correct, possibly ? Although you know the difference between many nations and America ? America was found by IMIGRANTS. People all over the world came to make there life better. To... (more »)

MaccabeePreiss said...
Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:18 pm:
Yet what would happen if another language seemingly takes over English as the linga franca? If the Subcontinent and Far East continue their influence on buisness and global commerce - enough so that during the next span of decades Hindi or Manadarin becomes more beneficial to learn, would you continue this stubborness? Now it does bother me to some extent over the amount of immigrants who do not speak English in the United States, lingual diversity helps promote tolerance, respect,... (more »)

DreamAngel said...
Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:04 am:
Though you do bring up a point, I have to disagree with you. America is a country made up of immigrants. Because it is a society made of immigrants, I think that we should actually want the immigrants to keep their language and tradition. However, that is not at all the same as not integrating themselves into society. Though they should integrate themselves into this country, they should do it in a way that they still keep their roots, because that's what made this country in the fir... (more »)

kaceykat said...
Some people may know our language, but they may have an easier time understanding their first language.