The World Outside Our Screen | Teen Ink

The World Outside Our Screen

By Rea-chan PLATINUM, Dallas, Texas
Rea-chan PLATINUM, Dallas, Texas

"I'm going to be my own kind of princess."
-Usagi Tsukino

I walk into the home me and my family share each day. Each day I pick up the remote and selcet a channel. All the mindless digits I enter all have one thing in common, none lead to the news.

After seeing snipits of the news, I realized that in all due respect, the news is nothing more than horror story after horror story. According to them, the world is a place full of sadness, povertry, crime,and hopelessness. The people with the coffee mugs rarely ever mention something happy.

Many places and people are decptied as violent, hopeless, or always in povertry. I watched a viedo once about this, the women speaking called this "a single story." That we as city, as a state, as a nation, are told one story about a group of people.

The media portraying our world in such a way is sucking the life out of it. It leaves a once colorful one cloaked in darkness. Happniess and hope are concepts they have not yet learned, and they have no desire to learn them. I don't believe they should have the right to divide our world into black and white.

I wonder, if anyone else is willing to come with me. I wonder, who else wants to see light return. I wonder, if anyonn will help me repaint our world. I wonder if anone will look beyond their screen.