The Drinking Age Should Be Lowered to 18 in the United States | Teen Ink

The Drinking Age Should Be Lowered to 18 in the United States

By kenuiouss BRONZE, Winnsboro, South Carolina
kenuiouss BRONZE, Winnsboro, South Carolina

"Spend less time in the mirror and more time feeling wonderful."

Adult is a person who has attained the age of maturity as specified by law. Adulthood, is what young adults transition into when they reach 18. As people reach that age they take on many adult responsibilities. So why are ages between 18-20 are being denied to purchase or consume alcohol? The issue is the drinking age is set at 21. Young adults get to sign contracts, buy lottery tickets, elect a political leader but can’t sip alcohol legally. The drinking age should be lowered to 18!

In the United States, after the age of 18 young people are no longer consider juveniles.  When you reach the age of 18 you can vote, sign contacts, join the army, serve on juries and much more, but not mature enough to drink legally.  Turning 18 entails receiving the rights and responsibilities of adulthood, which involves making your own decisions and reaping the consequences of your own actions. It should not be up to the government to tell legal adults what they can or cannot put in their bodies, they’re no longer a juvenile. Froma Harrop says that “Age 18 traditionally separates minors from adults. The drinking age has long been a tug-of-war. Is a 19-year-old mature enough to fight in Afghanistan but not to order beer in a bar? Almost every other country sets the drinking age at 18”(Pg. 1). Just because you’re 21 doesn’t absolutely mean than you are more mature when it comes to drink than an 18 year old. Lowering the age from 21 to 18, that DUI’s and Fatal Crashes will remain the same because younger kids are already illegally drinking alcohol. The congress should lower drinking age because it won’t have an affect on society and would decrease unsafe drinking activity.

Opponents of lowering the drinking age 18 states that if the drinking age is lowered then the number of crashes will increase and more people will mostly likely get killed or be severely injured. IIHS’ President Adrian Lund, believes that “21-year-old drinking age is saving lives... Lowering the legal age to purchase and consume alcohol to 18 would increase the number of 18-20 year-olds killed or injured in motor vehicle crashes”. However, David J. Hanson, Ph.D, believes that ”The role of such beverages as thirst quenchers is obvious and they play an important role in enhancing the enjoyment and quality of life”. The government should lowering the age from 21 to 18 because drinking is an enjoyable activity, 18 years old should not be denied pleasurable activities, if its the legal age.  The important thing about drinking is that its fun! If you’re having a bad day, drinking will help; if you’re having a good day, drinking will make your day even delightful! Its important to remember that, when` you reach that age you are not a child anymore. If voting and military sign up is 18, then drinking should also be 18.

Lowering the drinking age to 18 will decrease teens wanting to break the law and will increase more responsibility.  The government should change the drinking age because it will be better for the economy. More people would legally be able to drink in bars, restaurants, and other licensed establishments. Revenue would increase for private business owners, and greater amounts of tax revenue would be collected by the government. So why not change it? The Amethyst Initiative states,  “Adults under 21 are deemed capable of voting, signing contracts, serving on juries and enlisting in the military, but are told they are not mature enough to have a beer. By choosing to use fake IDs, students make ethical compromises that erode respect for the law”.