Adam and Steve | Teen Ink

Adam and Steve

By Vivian Arrendondo BRONZE, None, Virginia
Vivian Arrendondo BRONZE, None, Virginia

In the 21st century there are many pressing issues that COMPLETELY affects everyone’s daily lives. Especially a new pressing matter, gay marriage. This obviously interrupts my daily routine. When I’m finally ready in the mornings and I spill my coffee everywhere, thanks gay marriage. When I wake up three hours late for school, thanks gay marriage. Or when I’m just having a particularly bad hair day, thanks gay marriage. Legalizing gay marriage would be changing hundreds of years of tradition. In fact, using this great mindset, we should bring back human sacrifice as well! Also, instead of using our current knowledge of medicine, we should go back to using “leeches” and “magic” to cure all sorts of diseases which we had also done for centuries.  People who believe they like the same sex as their own can of course can be changed, it’s not as if they were born that way. Anyone can be changed, we could do this for people born with dark hair too, if you just tell them it’s wrong, their hair will start naturally growing blonde. Problem solved!

Or we could all use common sense and realize, current society is changing traditions every day, gay marriage is just a new opportunity for us to rise above the rest and accept what’s going to happen whether someone wanted it to or not. If you could not already tell I am in complete support of gay marriage. I grew up in a household of open minded people who all understand the right for people to love who they want to love. The real question here is, how does this really affect those who are anti-gay marriage? Why should they even care? Many argue that same sex marriage lacks the reproductive capacity, which is the basis for marriage, or a “standard” it “fails to meet”. This is ridiculous for two reasons, one is that many homosexual couples have one if not both people in their relationship who are infertile. Does this mean they should not be allowed to marry also? My second reason is, even though these couples may not be able to reproduce does not mean they are incapable of raising a child to rise above the standards of society. There are children who do not have a home and may never find one, yet many gay couples who want a family of their own are willing to adopt these children into a usually loving and stable home.

Another main argument for anti-gay marriage believers is that it is religiously wrong. Whatever you believe in is what you believe in, but it is no one person’s right not allowing people to marry because of religious reasons. Religion is not a law so religious people may not enforce their own laws. Same-sex marriage is a civil right, the US Supreme Court ruled in 1974’s Cleveland Board of Education v. LaFleur that the "freedom of personal choice in matters of marriage and family life is one of the liberties protected by the Due Process Clause.” Nowhere in the constitution does it say that people may discriminate against/ban the joining of two people in marriage as long as it is on religious grounds.

For those who are anti-gay marriage, I don’t want to say you may as well get used to it, but this is happening whether you like it or not. Even with the marriage laws, gay couples will continue to thrive and grow with or without the official title. This is just like the new marijuana laws being passed in many states, the modern world is happening, positive or not.

In English class we are writing a polemic essay. Our essays had to be on a controversial topic that we were very one sided on. This is a topic as you read you'll find out I am very passionate about. It is not done and this is just the rough draft, but I would love feedback!