The American Flag

The American Flag: a symbol of unity and pride. While our nation over the years has become a melting pot of all races, cultures, and religions, we all recognize the purpose of unity. Skin colors may be different, and languages may form barriers, but our representation under the American flag forms the United States into a unified people. The thirteen stripes that represent the first thirteen states that fought to provide us with the freedom we undoubtedly value in a world today where a free life is so easily taken for granted. The fifty starts stand for the fifty different, but equal states we reside in. While we are divided among regions, we are united under the belief that our country is one that provides freedom and equality for all. Whenever our nation is in a time of despair, we look upon our flag as a sign of hope for tomorrow. The flag represents our sorrow when we hang it at half mast to commemorate a tragedy. Through our flag we stand unified under times of loss, such as the strength the United States developed when our nation was under attack on September 11, 2001. We looked to the flag as a symbol that while our nation was hurting, we will stand strong in danger. The American flag stands for a promise that our future may be uncertain, but our nation will always remain one, united with one another.