Expectations | Teen Ink

Expectations

Expectations, what is it that we even get out of them? I try meeting every expectation that’s brought upon to me. Most of those expectations are from my parents. I have always followed their expectations even though some of them are ridiculously unrealistic. I feel that sometimes expectations can shadow a person’s personal goal and purpose.

I was taught that parents always know best. It is partially true. Often they just want the best for you. My parents always give me their speech on how they want me to do better than them. They tell me to make straight A’s, make captain of the varsity team, and make it in the Decathlon. If I had a choice, I’d make cupcakes and write novels all day. But my parents have this affect on me. I can’t go against them so I do as they say. If my parents had super powers, their power would be manipulation.

My life is hectic. There’s no room for me to relax, socialize, or recreate myself. From 5:30 AM to 11:30 PM, I study, I work, and I practice, and study more. How I manage to have time to eat is a wonder. That is the package that comes along with following expectations for me.

Why I actually follow my parent’s expectations, even when some are unrealistic? I follow them because it serves me a purpose. I am not the brightest crayon in the box but I strive to make decent grades. I may not be captain of the soccer team but I am part of a team and play a sport that I grew to love. And the Decathlon? That is one of the unrealistic expectations I do not meet. But I pay attention during class lectures to understand my professor’s concepts.

I still get praised by my parents because they know how hard I try. My parent’s expectations helped me become the person that I am today. They held the doors open while all I had to do was walk through. I am grateful for their support and for always pushing me. This is what I get from expectations.