Who is the Dress Code really for? | Teen Ink

Who is the Dress Code really for?

By chaden810 BRONZE, Afton, Virginia
chaden810 BRONZE, Afton, Virginia

"Though she be little, she is fierce."

Clothing is a form of expression. It is a way for someone to fit in and feel comfortable. School dress codes can hinder this expression. It seems like nowadays it is specifically girls who are being targeted for dress code violations, boys are not called on dress code or publicly shamed for what they are wearing. To target girls instead of boys is unfair and unjust. When teachers tell me to change because my clothes are "distracting." Then I start to think distracting to whom? And the answer is teenage boys. This is creating the culture that boys' education is more important than girls' education. If a boy cannot control themselves in a learning environment just because my shirt may be showing a little skin, then that is not my problem.  It may be that these girls can not afford new clothes that fit them perfectly, or they have a body type that is harder to buy a certain type of clothes for.  To tell teenage girls, who are already concerned with their body image, that what they are wearing is not appropriate and that they should be able to "respect themselves" enough to not wear certain clothing is a terrible thing. It is teaching girls to be self conscious about their bodies and to dress for other people and not in what they feel comfortable in. This factor is just one of the many that puts pressure on girls to look a certain way or wear specific things. That fact that this is occurring in our school system, a place supposed to encourage individual ideas, yet is discouraging individuality, a place where students should be comfortable and ready to learn, yet where they can feel singled out or looked down upon, is horrifying.