The American Dream | Teen Ink

The American Dream

September 11, 2014
By karinaramirez BRONZE, Arleta, California
karinaramirez BRONZE, Arleta, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

When my mom turned 16 she became an independent woman. I grew in a very distinct area from my mom. Since she was born and raised in Mexico, that affected how I was raised. America has been modernized since her time because of technological advances. We go through difficulties in life, but nothing impossible. I know that no matter what situation my mom found herself in she always kept going for her family. My mother puts family above all other priorities in life. She is constantly helping with all the aspects of daily life from shopping to cooking to laundry to dishes. She advises all of us on the important decisions in our life. At age 16, she crossed the border to to apply for a job in the U.S. My mom learned how to sew in order to raise money to help her mom build a house. “I came to U.S at a young age, but my goal was to help my mom and I had to find a job here,” she said. My brother and me living with her makes her feel complete, “You guys changed my life, I didn’t know what to do at first,” she informed. She looks after us and helps us when we have personal issues. She exclaimed, “Family is a part of my life, my dream that I am accomplishing.” While many Americans dream of owning a big house with a new car and being rich, for my mom simply having me and my brother by her side, she feels complete. “My desire is for you and your brother is to reach your goals,” she smirked. Before, like when my 22-year-old mother first lived here, immigrants could achieve legal status more easily than they can today. She easily obtained her social security number and now they ask for different documents. Getting her social security changed her life because if she didn’t have legal status then she would be worried like “I would need to be careful with cops and stress about finding a job.” She didn’t have anything in Mexico, there was nothing. “When they would give me dresses or clothes it meant a lot because that was all I had,” she sighed. It was hard for her living in Mexico, that's why she decided to come to the U.S, although my mom didn't want to. "I wish I could've stayed with my mom," she said. When I was 11 years old, my father passed away. I didn't know what it meant to lose my dad, but seeing my mom cry was so heart-breaking. It was devastating for her to lose her love, and that changed her life completely. For my mom , "He was my main support system, " she exclaimed , "It was tough economically and more responsibility because I need to play the role of a mother and father." And it's true she’s a mom and dad for me, she needs to work more to provide her children. It must be difficult for her, My mom said: " Sometimes I wish your dad was still here," she sniffled.   My mom would love to own a big house and a car, but that doesn't change her and where she comes from. Till this day there isn’t a stronger woman than my mom. She proceeds with her duties and responsibilities, because her life couldn't have been a better one. She is happy and peaceful with her life today. Everyday she lives her American dream, being with her family.