American Dream | Teen Ink

American Dream

September 12, 2014
By Lorena Del Toro BRONZE, Pacomia, California
Lorena Del Toro BRONZE, Pacomia, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

 My mother wants better for our family. She wants my sisters and me to travel freely, go to college, get married, buy a home and live the American Dream. “To me the American dream means you have a job and you are able to help support your family,” said my mother.

 

  When my mom came to the U.S her goal was to earn money so she could send money back to her parents in Mexico. I asked her how it felt migrate to a country where she didn’t actually understand the language let alone speak it. “It was challenging, however having others in your household and co-workers who spoke to me in Spanish didn't make it too difficult,” explained my mother. She described how her family truly supported her when she first arrived to the U.S, they helped her look for a job, gave her a place to stay, and showed her around.

 

 I have always understood that for my mother leaving her parents behind has always been tough for her. When she received the opportunity to come to the United States with a working visa she took it. Without thinking about the impact on herself and her family. Since as long as  I can remember my mom would constantly tell us how she wishes she could bring her parents to live in the U.S. “ I wish I would have brought my parents with me, especially my father. I miss him so much,” she said, with sorrow in her voice. Due to the close bond she shared with her father, she endured great pain with his loss.When he passed away, my mother’s visa had already expired, if she decided to leave to Mexico she would not be permitted back in legally. The hardest thing for her was not being able to attend her father’s funeral, although she admitted “Losing my father was painful, but leaving and losing my children would have killed me.” The loss of her father left her heartbroken for sometime, however she mentioned she does not regret staying.

 

   My mother constantly told us she wanted the best for us so when her father died, she admitted “I wouldn’t have risked leaving and sacrificing all the great opportunity that you girls have here in the United States.” She emigrated from Mexico to the United States for better educational and economic opportunities for herself and for me and my sisters.

 

   I asked my mom if her view on the American dream would differ if she was a U.S. citizen she responded  “Yes it would, if I was a Citizen I would focus on getting a worthy education so that I could have the job I wanted,” she explained. When talking to my mom we talked  about how kids here in the U.S take the great opportunities they have for granted. She talked about how we have the opportunity to go to excellent schools and receive a valuable education. Yet some people don't value it  because they don't notice how difficult it is for people in other countries  to go to school let alone obtain an acceptable education.  Her dream was to get a good job, although, time changed and she didn't keep a job for too long. She found happiness in her children, and found someone who would support her and help her take care of her family as well.  My mothers dream now is to become an American Citizen.