What is Patriotism? | Teen Ink

What is Patriotism?

By beatlesrevolver66 BRONZE, Edinboro, Pennsylvania
beatlesrevolver66 BRONZE, Edinboro, Pennsylvania

Let it be.

While the definition of patriotism limits itself to, “love and devotion to one’s country,” I believe that patriotism constitutes not only the decisions one makes, but also a thorough awareness and appreciation of those who exemplify sacrifice for their countries. I believe that patriotism is not just a word; it is the word of men establishing an ideal nation.

Demonstrations of patriotism occur in everyday life. To love one’s country, one must love those who inhabit it and put forth generosity as well as cordiality to those in need. Patriotism is aiding those who depend upon a stray trash can, rooting through upturned waste in search of food; furthermore, it is the man who smiles warmly at those bereft of confidants. Patriotism is putting forth the effort to preserve the land one loves, whether it be through recycling or discarding the litter left abandoned on the road. Most important of all, patriotism requires sacrifice.

The quintessential patriot is, in my opinion, he who endangers his life for the sake of his country, or, in simpler terms, the veteran. He who has nobly endowed to his country what he treasures most, deserves the utmost appreciation and awareness, whether he be a fortunate survivor, or one of the 2,717,991 soldiers that have been killed or wounded in combat. These noble men are given far too little compensation for their courageous sacrifices; it is estimated that nearly 62,619 veterans are without a home and still countless veterans remain unrecognized. He who exemplifies patriotism must possess a thorough understanding of these statistics and in turn spread awareness and aid to those unaware and to those in need. Patriotism is the man, famous or not, striving for right.

Patriotism is Nathan Hale, uttering, “I regret, but that I only have one life to give for my country,” before his execution. It is George Washington, courageously leading the Continental Army across the Delaware River. It is embodied by a frostbitten soldier, slogging through the snow-covered ground at Valley Forge. Patriotism is our Founding Fathers, conceiving an ideal country in the sweltering summer heat.

Through love and loyalty as well as sacrifice, those who embody patriotism support and devote their lives to their country. Any man can bear the flag on his chest; however, only he who is fully devoted to his country can truly claim himself to constitute the word, “patriotism.”

I would like to place the most emphasis on the third paragraph of this essay-should veterans really be homeless?