Following Your Arrow | Teen Ink

Following Your Arrow

July 26, 2014
By -emma- GOLD, Miami, Florida
-emma- GOLD, Miami, Florida
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
I'm like a child who belongs to nobody
~Lana Del Rey~


Do you ever feel that you are more worried about society’s opinion about yourself rather than your own happiness? Do you ever feel judged for what makes you happy or even the things you do? Society now has a way of manipulating people of worrying too much of what everyone thinks about each other. Society is like a poison deteriorating your souls happiness and the minds tranquility.

If you don’t save yourself for marriage you are considered a w****, save yourself for marriage you are considered a prude. If you don’t take a shot of tequila you’re considered a bore, down the fist one you’re a drunk. If you’re covered in tattoos and piercings you’re considered a disgrace to the world, go to church every Sunday and pray before all meals you’re considered a self-righteous individual. Can’t loose the weight your fat, but loose too much you’re considered anorexic.

If you can’t see the point, here it is, you’re damned if you do and you’re damned if you don’t. Everyone is going to judge you one way or another. Do what you feel in your heart to be right, for you will be criticized either way. Smile at the people who bring you down, laugh at the jackass who screwed you over, and point the middle finger at the idiots who didn’t know any better.

Say what you think, love who you want because society will never approve of your choices. An arrow can only be shot when pulling it backwards. When your life is miserable because you’re putting too much effort into not getting judged for what you want to do. Let go of the arrow and let it land on what makes you happy.

For the heart is the compass of your happiness when you’re lost or in to deep. Let your heart choose which way you should shoot your arrow and follow it wherever your arrow goes. Sometimes the people you surround yourself with are the ones holding you down.

In other words, the plane always has a final destination. On some journeys it goes through rough weather. Delaying the arrival, other times, it’s a smooth flight. You are the captain, focusing on the arrival. Your job as the captain is to get to your destination, and not let the rocky weather around you get in the way of the goal.

What makes up the interfering weather on the flight, are the people around you. Keeping you from arriving, just like they keep you from making yourself happy. You can’t rely on people for your happiness, because people shock you. Nobody knows you like you know yourself. You make your own destiny. You can never rely on everybody for your happiness because even your own shadow leaves you in the dark. You should only have a small circle for the ones you rely on. Such as your close friends and family.

You go to the end of the world and back for people subconsciously thinking they would do the same if roles were reverse. Sometimes before it gets better, the darkness expands. The person you would take a bullet for is right behind the trigger


The author's comments:
We often forget the sight of our own happiness for it's the fear of judgement in society that stares us right in the face.