Teenage Loneliness vs. Technology | Teen Ink

Teenage Loneliness vs. Technology

By sam1234 BRONZE, Nortumberland, Pennsylvania
sam1234 BRONZE, Nortumberland, Pennsylvania

Have you ever felt lonely? When living in a society today, teenagers have a hard time facing obstacles that cross their paths. Without someone there to encourage or comfort teenagers, they get lonely and nobody even realizes it. Teenagers often assume they can rely on technology to secure friends. They forget how to even talk to others face-to-face. Do you think loneliness in teenagers is caused by the use of technology in our world?

Teenagers have a hard time facing obstacles when their parents are divorced. When a teenager’s parents split up, they are left with only one parent to care for them. Often times, that parent could be working or not be around as much causing a teenager to get lonely. This situation can affect a teenager in many ways; one being there is not anyone to comfort them when they are in need. Teenagers can use encouragement when they are dealing with stress at school, such as big exams. It is depressing when there is not anyone at home to have a conversation with regarding their problems.

Another reason teenagers can feel lonely is their use of technology. They often rely on meeting friends on social media sites, such as Facebook or Twitter. They can connect with people all around the world with just a click on a website. They can become friends with people they have never talked to before or even met. The people they meet really are not who they say they are. They can use fake pictures or false information trying to be someone they are not. They may post that they are young, but they might really be an older person trying to prey on teenagers. They can also say they are good at sports and have never played any in their life. These issues can make teenagers feel lonely because they think they have friends, but in reality they really don’t.

Finally, teenagers in today’s society find it easier to communicate with others via text messaging. It is not as hard to send a text message as it may be to say the exact same thing in person. There is also a difference in the way text messages are viewed and interpreted by the recipient. It is easier to ignore a phone call or a text message if you are not up for a conversation, then to actually ignore someone in person. Teenagers also face social awkwardness because they do not know how to start a conversation, let alone carry on that conversation while a person is in front of them.

Loneliness is a growing issue among more and more teenagers each and every day. Teenagers can feel lonely by facing obstacles in their family relationships, relying on technology to gain friends and as the primary means of daily communication. There is no questioning loneliness will continue to impact all teenagers at some point in their life.