Being Human | Teen Ink

Being Human

Disclaimer: the following note is not based on any scientific evidence... Or evidence of any means. I couldn't find any sociological studies relating to the subject, and I don't have a $2 million dollar budget to spend on such things myself.

People don't exactly think of me as "normal", mostly because of my appearance. People can't see past the tail and fangs.
I'm not a wolf.

And I'm not a furry. (a person who wears a full animal costume)
I am in fact Human. Sometimes I don't feel human. But there's no denying this body; it's human. Sometimes people stare or shout "Tails! Tails!" as I pass. They notice but don't care much. And that's nice and all. I mean its my life not theirs (I should have the right to express myself.) However when people ‘notice and don't care’ it implies that you should be comfortable expressing yourself, that it doesn't matter weather you wear a tail or have multiple facial piercings.

It does matter.

There will always be someone who negatively judges you weather you where a tail, or went to prison, that's just how life is in the current century (I don't want to say society because that implies that there is a big organization that controls all.) What if that judgement-filled person just happens to be the boss at your dream job? What if he doesn't even consider you because you happened to be born on the 25th of January? Being born on the day you where shouldn't keep you from a job, much less your dream job. Its the same for people who wear a tail, or have multiple body modifications.

Maybe we just had to wait it out?

Maybe suddenly no one will care what you appear like, and maybe life will be better, people will me more confident, more diverse, and more open minded.

But those are all "Irrational Maybes" and waiting won't do any good. I want a fight. Even if all that means is that I keep wearing a tail, and fake piercings. Even if I get judged for it, it still means that there is a possibility that i will spark something,