Is Bad really bad | Teen Ink

Is Bad really bad

By Jelliesoup SILVER, York,
Jelliesoup SILVER, York,

"What a splendid head, yet no brain."(Aesop)

When I was little, I, like every kid out there, loved watching movies, specifically disney because the princesses allowed me to see myself in a perfect light. I could put on my plastic tiara, look in the mirror, and imagine myself in a pretty gown with sparkles and jewels. I spent hours trying to make friends with the chipmunks in the backyard so that they could help me with my chores like in Cinderella, but it turns out that they weren’t too keen on that thought. They would have gotten lost in my room anyway, or what my mom called a “pigsty”, as she would rub her foot from jamming it into some obscure rock or toy for the upteenth time. But as I grew up, I started to realize that my love for heros in the movies started to shift over to the villains. The princesses and princes, were clean, gorgeous, open and as bland as a bran muffin. The villains on the other hand were grimy, funny, morbid and as dark and complex as an abyss compared to their counterparts. Hades in Hercules was hilarious with his calm, easy going, lets-make-a-deal manner, and Malificent in Sleeping Beauty was scary and regal, like a queen of destruction. And awesome dragon powers.
This brings me to the question that has been asked for a long time, is bad really bad? Without bad and dark, our lives would be very boring. We would have no conflict and everything would be happy all of the time, which would make it hard for us to enjoy being happy. Without these feelings many works of art lamenting the human soul and the tortures it must go through to make itself stronger would not exist at all. Our society has brainwashed us to think that we must be happy all of the time and if you are not, you are a weak terrible person. We are taught that these feelings of ours are wrong and perverse. Without bad and sadness there would be no stories, no jokes, no change, no excitement. It probably will even represent the concept of the movie “Groundhog Day” where the same things happen over and over. You see. as blind humans, we need bad things in our lives to make us see the good things so we can live. Without bad things and sadness, its like playing an endless game of chess against yourself. Its boring, there is no point and in the end you sweep the pieces off of the board.