Metric for America | Teen Ink

Metric for America

By Zachattack BRONZE, Bayside, Wisconsin
Zachattack BRONZE, Bayside, Wisconsin

The Metric System is the best thing for America. America should convert to the Metric System because it will then fit in with the rest of the world. It will also make all measurement easier.The Metric System, the unit of measure used by 95% of the world, should be used by America.
First,the Metric System is the universal language for science and medicine, so why isn’t the U.S. using it for measurement? All of the scientists and doctors in the entire world use it in their professional lives so why not use it in their regular life? One system of measurement would just be so convenient.

Second, if the U.S. switches to the Metric System it will look less foolish and ignorant to the rest of the world. Why is the U.S. different from 95% of the world? They are sticking out like a sore thumb right now. It will be easier to teach one system, and it will make travel easier too, all across the world.

Last but not least, the Customary System is hard and confusing to learn and use. The Customary System has multiples of 12. The Metric Systems has multiples of 10. When changing something from ML to L, just move the decimal point. So, now at the pharmacy there will be zero or almost no conversion errors if the U.S. uses the Metric System.

Due to having a bad System of measurement, America should convert to the Metric System. All of those reasons make the Metric System superior to the Customary System. Once more, the Metric System is the best thing for America.